Broken Motor Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my guess is since it's a discontinued H3 and it's literally the only mount listed for those trucks, there's no auto parts store replacement and they don't seem to fail. gm is probably like why do we keep running out of stock on these parts. (no clue who the vendor is) I'm curious what's going to happen in a few years when it hits the time gm stops supporting parts for for the H3. I guess we'll all have to go aftermarket poly at that point.

inflation is real, but this feels different.

on a side note I didn't get to mess with mine this weekend. maybe next
Fortunately, there are other suppliers out there of mounts for these of various materials, including poly.

KC 2013 Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have to say that I didn't find it to be too bad. I'm built like a grizzly bear with similarly-sized paws, and I did a handful of things that helped:

1/ I separated the steering shaft. It was a pain to do and took some patience, but it improved access significantly.
2/ As others have said they did also, I took the front wheel off along with the fender liner. Takes 10 minutes to do both. Game changer.
3/ I removed the heat shield from the exhaust manifold after patiently waiting for the penetrating oil to do its job on the bolts.
4/ I used a block of wood under the oil pan with a good quality floor jack that made it easy to support the engine and carefully raise it incrementally as needed.
5/ I cut away the heat shield from the motor mount with a pair of tin snips to get better access to the bolts.
6/ I used a wobble joint on the socket wrench.

Having done the job now, I wager I could do it again in a couple of hours and less than 3 beers, taking my time.

It's also a really good time to change the engine oil cooler lines, if so equipped.
Glad it went smoothly for you! Sounds like you did all the same things as me, for whatever reason I had a lot of trouble with the four mount-to-block bolts. Regardless, definitely one of those jobs worth having behind you!
:cool:

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad it went smoothly for you! Sounds like you did all the same things as me, for whatever reason I had a lot of trouble with the four mount-to-block bolts. Regardless, definitely one of those jobs worth having behind you!
:cool:
Yeah, it's not like I'm going to seek out the chance to do that job again! :peace:

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my guess is since it's a discontinued H3 and it's literally the only mount listed for those trucks, there's no auto parts store replacement and they don't seem to fail. gm is probably like why do we keep running out of stock on these parts. (no clue who the vendor is) I'm curious what's going to happen in a few years when it hits the time gm stops supporting parts for for the H3. I guess we'll all have to go aftermarket poly at that point.

inflation is real, but this feels different.

on a side note I didn't get to mess with mine this weekend. maybe next
It’s also listed for 13-14 tahoes and suburbans too, like they tried to fix a known issue with a running change

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It’s also listed for 13-14 tahoes and suburbans too, like they tried to fix a known issue with a running change

oh yeah? same part number? comes on it it gotta replace the stock ones with it?

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ugh.. that wasn't fun. but gotta say, probably the first time being a hybrid helped out. no power steering pump in the way, it slid forward and out in one piece without removing much but some wiring clips and grounds.

it was definitely broken. truck feels significantly smoother. must have been bad since I got it. because know you can't even feel the engine start and stop, before it wasn't bad but sometimes it did make some noise I thought was probably normal.

for anyone doing it, besides the 15mm impact wobbly above, a 28ish inch transmission extension would be very handy working from the top for the frame bolts and thru the fender well for the block bolts. if you haven't seen them, it's a special extension meant to get to the top bolts of a tranny bellhousing. it's 1/2in on the impact end and 3/8 on the socket end, hardened so it doesn't waste you impact power like normal extensions do.

byond that, it's just mostly miserable. took me about 3 hours start to finish.

Attachments

• PXL_20240414_172054140.jpg
    PXL_20240414_172054140.jpg
    226.4 KB · Views: 3

claustralia

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just finished reading this thread and although I don't have much clunk on accelerating I do notice a slight groaning sound before the engine warms up when going over bumps. Thought it might be the mounts. Do yall think this is normal movement or is this mount on the way out?

solli5pack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just finished reading this thread and although I don't have much clunk on accelerating I do notice a slight groaning sound before the engine warms up when going over bumps. Thought it might be the mounts. Do yall think this is normal movement or is this mount on the way out?

I do believe that is to much movement and the mount is likely failed. Not sure if it would cause a groaning sound on a cold motor though.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you know, it's hard to say for me. that's definitely more movement than I'd like to see, but also it doesn't have the abrupt lift and hit the stop that mine had. yours looks like it has some smoothness to it. but you'd need to find someone with a oem non hummer mount to compare.

groaning over speed bumps when it's cold seems to be sway bar end links and bushings for most people. mine does it, but they look fine and it's not cold here long enough for me to care much yet.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamnalicea143e