Broken Motor Mounts - 2010 GMC Yukon SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kris8307

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,

I purchased a used 2010 Yukon with low mileage (56k) last year 2016. Turns out the mounts are broken and the car is shaking when I brake at high speed. Just wanted to see what some people recommend. Already spoke to my mechanic and he said $900 cause it is a labor intense job. Should I replace with the original parts from the dealer? Or should I buy aftermarket motor mounts? What websites or stores should I check? Please let me know and TIA

sk1dm4rk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Shaking while braking is not the mounts. That is likely warped rotors.

$900 is highway robbery, IMO. It takes no more than an hour or so to change the driver's side (which is likely the only one that may be bad). Where are you located?

Lift the hood so you can see the engine from the driver's seat. Put your foot on the brake and put it in drive. LEAVE your foot on the brake and give it some gas. If the engine rocks, the driver's side mount is fine. If it lifts and moves towards the hood, the mount is bad. To check the passenger side, put it in reverse and your foot on the brake and give it gas. Twisting is OK, lifting is bad.

I recommend replacing with original. Some of the aftermarket stuff is crap. I changed mine two years ago and it is still going strong.

-I jacked up the engine using a block of wood under the oil pan.

-Unhooked the steering shaft

-Used long extensions and a swivel adapter to remove the bolts.

-Pulled the mount out the top.

-Put the new one in and started the bolts a few turns and then lowered the engine.

-Then I tightened the bolts, hooked the steering shaft back up and DONE!

If you are uncomfortable with this, take it somewhere. Just shop around.

Good luck.

Regards,

Mark

Plimbob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Mark, doesn't sound like motor mounts. Could be warped rotors as Mark stated, are you getting feedback in the brake pedal at all?
There is an outside chance it could be a bad wheel bearing although the mileage on your vehicle would steer me to bad rotors. Also, can't recall if that vehicle has a steering dampener if so that could be the culprit?

I would check those three possible before I would chase a bad motor mount. In the event it is the $900 your shop quoted to change seems pretty out of line.

Patric Nolan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I was having the same issue while braking and it was the driver side motor mount. I put my Suburban in neutral and then hit the brakes and the shaking stopped, so I knew it wasn't the brakes. I replaced the driver's side engine mount (easy job) and no more shaking!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n