Bricked BCM?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't believe a BCM would prevent the engine from starting, at least not in 99-02 trucks. I did V6 to V8 swap on my 99 Silverado and accidentally left my V6 fuseblock when I hooked up the battery back up. I damaged my cluster and BCM. I opened up the BCM and there was something fried inside and recall a burnt smell before I realized my mistake. But after swapping the V8 fuseblock, truck started just fine. I had to source another cluster and BCM from the junkyard and everything works good.

But I may wrong on the later trucks? I know the 03-06 wirings are very different.
BCM is where the passlock sends the resistance signal too and the BCM gives the PCM the go ahead allow engine start (notice I didnt say crank).

strutaeng

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BCM is where the passlock sends the resistance signal too and the BCM gives the PCM the go ahead allow engine start (notice I didnt say crank).
Ok, that makes sense. I should have remembered that I had deleted VATS from my ECU. That's probably why my truck started.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for posting the solution to your issue. Much appreciated.

Our collective knowledge base has been increased.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so you thinking its its bcm or passlock?
At the time he stated he didnt think the BCM would keep engine from starting. It actually will. The Passlock system includes the BCM and if the BCM were bricked or anything defective related to it including fuse, wiring and its grounds then it would indeed keep the engine from running. Typically though when the problem is passlock related the engine will start and run for 3secs or so then shut off immediately. Passlock kills the fuel pump power if I remember correctly. Now I dont know if a totally bricked or Defective BCM will keep an engine from starting at all. Ive never come across that bridge luckily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar

Latest posts