Brakes squeak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Went to brake masters for a free inspection.

Mind you truck doesnt vibrate or have any issues stopping there is a ugly noise when driving slow. So I came in to see what's going on.

They quoted me $890
Rear axle is leaking
Rotors are below threshold
Pads need to be replaced

Now I don't know much about the break system, I feel like they're trying to take advantage from the "free" inspection.

I am concerned though because this truck is our main vehicle for the kids and work transportation.

But before I go spending a whole pay check on all these repairs how do I know I need all that work done ?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went to brake masters for a free inspection.

Mind you truck doesnt vibrate or have any issues stopping there is a ugly noise when driving slow. So I came in to see what's going on.

They quoted me $890
Rear axle is leaking
Rotors are below threshold
Pads need to be replaced

Now I don't know much about the break system, I feel like they're trying to take advantage from the "free" inspection.

I am concerned though because this truck is our main vehicle for the kids and work transportation.

But before I go spending a whole pay check on all these repairs how do I know I need all that work done ?

Rear axle wheel seal leak only affect's the parking brake only. Not the service brakes. How bad is the leak? Just a seep(most likely)? Did they give you a print out with any of the "bad brake and rotor" measurements?

What kind of noise going slow? Grinding? Squealing? Applying the brakes or free wheeling?

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rear axle wheel seal leak only affect's the parking brake only. Not the service brakes. How bad is the leak? Just a seep(most likely)? Did they give you a print out with any of the "bad brake and rotor" measurements?

What kind of noise going slow? Grinding? Squealing? Applying the brakes or free wheeling?
Free wheeling it makes noise. Stopping it makes noise a tiny bit. If I'm free wheeling and push the pedal half way the noise stops. They said the deal needs to be replaced. Print out does not have the measurements

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Free wheeling it makes noise. Stopping it makes noise a tiny bit. If I'm free wheeling and push the pedal half way the noise stops. They said the deal needs to be replaced. Print out does not have the measurements

Not sure about the rotors, but what you described, sounds like--to me--your pads are low and that noise you hear is that "squealer". The metal tang that protrudes from the pads that tells you it's time to change your low pads.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the rotors, but what you described, sounds like--to me--your pads are low and that noise you hear is that "squealer". The metal tang that protrudes from the pads that tells you it's time to change your low pads.
Ok that seems realistic question is why did they tear down the rear end and front stuff like that, I mean they took it down to the axles front and back. I'm going to hit up a different place next week because I am very concerned about the axle leak. Thing is I park in a drive way and never see any puddles or oil. They said the rear axle damaged the rear breaks and rotors

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok that seems realistic question is why did they tear down the rear end and front stuff like that, I mean they took it down to the axles front and back. I'm going to hit up a different place next week because I am very concerned about the axle leak. Thing is I park in a drive way and never see any puddles or oil. They said the rear axle damaged the rear breaks and rotors

I would say for the price they gave you it's mostly for the axle leak, to replace the seal it is a lot of work.
axle grease will soak into the pads and will ruin them, generally you wont see this type of leak on the ground because the grease just gets slinged all over the parking brake pads and inside behind the wheel and rotor, you may also see some of the grease on your wheels, I would say just doing the axle seal is about $500 alone (roughly) so they are probably packaging some of the brake labor in with that since it all has to come apart anyway to get the axle out.

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
I would say for the price they gave you it's mostly for the axle leak, to replace the seal it is a lot of work.
axle grease will soak into the pads and will ruin them, generally you wont see this type of leak on the ground because the grease just gets slinged all over the parking brake pads and inside behind the wheel and rotor, you may also see some of the grease on your wheels, I would say just doing the axle seal is about $500 alone (roughly) so they are probably packaging some of the brake labor in with that since it all has to come apart anyway to get the axle out.
That's even if there is an axle seal leak. I'm not saying they're lying, but in those kinds of places .most money is to be made in the upsell. Once I went to a place in Pa for a $30 state inspection--guy comes out 20 mins later with a list he made of all the repairs I needed to pass said inspection, totaling around $1200! Then he asked if I wanted to start repairs now lol. I went down the street to another place and got my state inspection with no issues. All in the upsell. There was nothing wrong with my car. All I'm saying is take his estimate with a grain of salt. Keep us posted.

OP
OP
Ghost10

Ghost10

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's even if there is an axle seal leak. I'm not saying they're lying, but in those kinds of places .most money is to be made in the upsell. Once I went to a place in Pa for a $30 state inspection--guy comes out 20 mins later with a list he made of all the repairs I needed to pass said inspection, totaling around $1200! Then he asked if I wanted to start repairs now lol. I went down the street to another place and got my state inspection with no issues. All in the upsell. There was nothing wrong with my car. All I'm saying is take his estimate with a grain of salt. Keep us posted.
Ok here is a print out of the repairs and costs
f1bb008fba2e7538ea50b254875ab323.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076