Brake pedal fluttering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When a warp is minor, it will be worse when the brakes are hot. After a while the heat and cool cycle will make it worse. Eventually you will have it hammering your foot when you stop and sometimes the steering wheel will shake going down the road. When that happens, your braking is compromised.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Were these year models hydroboost?
Hydroboost didnt start until 2004. I've had something similar happening to my truck. My brakes are all new (1 year ago)except my rear calipers. Going to make sure the rear calipers are not hanging up and bleeding the brakes. There may be air in the lines. I added hydroboost to my truck and the pedal was kinda flat with a dead spot until I flushed the system. Gonna run a gallon of fluid through and see how they feel.

nofaz

Reaction score
Have the same issue with my 13 Yukon. Soft braking makes the pedal flutter. Flutter slows as the vehicle does. I've replaced the front rotors twice in the last 6 months. The first time when I was doing a front brake job (it needed it!). The second time to try and stop the problem. I bought the HD GM rotors from a police package the second time but the problem did not change. It is intermittent, there are times when you can't feel a thing on the pedal. At the next stop light it feels like it wants to throw you out the window. Just about had enough and am going to take it to the dealer.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you looked at the rear brakes? If you take it in find a reputable indie you’ll usually get better, faster, cheaper repairs.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is also a specific way to bleed the abs pump/lines that a shop can do with a scan tool. If even a little air has gotten into the ABS, you can have symptoms like you are describing.

As others have said, a sensor or front axle unit bearing going out will also cause a problem. The intermittent and variable nature makes it seem more likely that a sensor is starting to fail.

nofaz

Reaction score
If there were a sensor failure would there not be a code showing up? I'd thought of a problem with the rear brakes but as I understand it the rear brakes don't have as much effect as the front.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Have the same issue with my 13 Yukon. Soft braking makes the pedal flutter. Flutter slows as the vehicle does. I've replaced the front rotors twice in the last 6 months. The first time when I was doing a front brake job (it needed it!). The second time to try and stop the problem. I bought the HD GM rotors from a police package the second time but the problem did not change. It is intermittent, there are times when you can't feel a thing on the pedal. At the next stop light it feels like it wants to throw you out the window. Just about had enough and am going to take it to the dealer.

Are the new pads being "bed" to the new rotors? Most pad mfrs have a specific procedure to be them in.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goodlife_chevy