Brake line upgrading question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm replacing the factory brake caliper hoses with Russell braided stainless steel lines. I've got all the lines changed except for the passenger front. This one won't thread onto the nut on the hardliners for some reason. The old one goes on fine though. Anyone have thoughts on this? I'm thinking about cutting the old nut off, putting on a new one and redoing the flare.

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The thread is actually a 7/16-24. Still not sure though why the new line won't thread on.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you have a tap and die in that size? Maybe there's a bur on the threads? Is it possible that it was made incorrectly, such as a metric fitting instead?

OP
OP
Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Jobi-Wan Kenobi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@swathdiver i stopped at oriellys yesterday because I had some stuff to return and had the old line and the new line checked with a piece of tubing that nuts already. It threaded on to both fine. That thread doesn't seem to be something common and not part of a tap and die set. I stopped at Ace Hardware to see if they would have a die but they didn't. There are dies available though but would be a special item. We do a have a thread file at work that I may try.

Funny thing is before the Russell lines I had a Stoptech set and ran into the same thing. Only that time the first line I tried to put on was the passenger front and had the same issue. I thought they were made wrong and sent them back and got the Russell set.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yukrazy