Brake Line leaking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2002 Tahoe 4x4
I've got a real bad leak from the rearmost hard brake line, runs above the spare tire, does anyone know the part number for that? Trying to fix it today as my first day of classes is tomorrow and I need my Tahoe running for sure.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only seen complete kits, but I'm sure you could find an individual part (google is your friend). THere are threads on hard line replacement on this forum as well.
One example - https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/brake-lines.92638/#post-1105857

Going to need more info since the rears have a few options, like do you have the kind that has individual lines to each rear corner from ABS module, or one common line from the ABS module to the rear that splits above the spare tire?

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I think ACDELCO #22933217 is what you're looking for. It's a hardline kit, though of note, it doesn't have the hardlines that split off from the T fitting on the rear axle and goes to the wheels. Could you post a picture?

p.s. if you're in an area where rust is a concern, it might be worth your time to look into nicopp or stainless lines

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've only seen complete kits, but I'm sure you could find an individual part (google is your friend). THere are threads on hard line replacement on this forum as well.
One example - https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/brake-lines.92638/#post-1105857

Going to need more info since the rears have a few options, like do you have the kind that has individual lines to each rear corner from ABS module, or one common line from the ABS module to the rear that splits above the spare tire?

I'm pretty sure it's just the one line from the ABS module, I looked under the truck and saw the 5 lines going from the module and it looks like the one that's busted is the one that makes a hard bend towards the rear of the truck.

afpj

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice kit, but sounds like you're talking about the line from ABS module to the t-connector above the spare that broke. That's a bummer, because undoing the lines at the ABS module is PITA, but doable. Are you getting any ABS codes? This would be a good time to do a repair on the EBCM if you had a problem. Since you live on the Island, better get some PB blaster or something similar and start spraying the connections now, since you got a couple days.

For the rear spare, IIRC my jack handle has a female 1/2" (I think) socket that fits down the channel from the rear bumper, so the end on the truck is a male 1/2" drive type setup that you screw counterclockwise to unwind the cable holding up the spare. I don't know if you can just remove that tube from under the bumper to get to that 1/2" square head to turn it with a regular socket.

Since I like spending other people's money, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change out the rubber flex hoses at the 4 corners to braided stainless since you have to do a total system bleed anyway.

Godd luck! If you have the mindset, and not cursing all the way through, take some pics for posterity!

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice kit, but sounds like you're talking about the line from ABS module to the t-connector above the spare that broke. That's a bummer, because undoing the lines at the ABS module is PITA, but doable. Are you getting any ABS codes? This would be a good time to do a repair on the EBCM if you had a problem. Since you live on the Island, better get some PB blaster or something similar and start spraying the connections now, since you got a couple days.

For the rear spare, IIRC my jack handle has a female 1/2" (I think) socket that fits down the channel from the rear bumper, so the end on the truck is a male 1/2" drive type setup that you screw counterclockwise to unwind the cable holding up the spare. I don't know if you can just remove that tube from under the bumper to get to that 1/2" square head to turn it with a regular socket.

Since I like spending other people's money, it wouldn't be a bad idea to change out the rubber flex hoses at the 4 corners to braided stainless since you have to do a total system bleed anyway.

Godd luck! If you have the mindset, and not cursing all the way through, take some pics for posterity!

I'm not getting any ABS codes, I'm gonna start spraying everything down, the line you're referring to is the one that runs over the fuel tank right?

Probably going to hold off on the flex hoses, school just started and I got textbooks to buy, but those are on the list.

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea it's the line which goes to the Tee above the rear diff... Any recommendations on how to put the new line in without dropping the fuel tank? any tools I should get?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Yea it's the line which goes to the Tee above the rear diff... Any recommendations on how to put the new line in without dropping the fuel tank? any tools I should get?

There is a good you tube of one guy putting it in through the rear wheel well.

OP
OP
D

Dusty_GMT800

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There is a good you tube of one guy putting it in through the rear wheel well.

Is that the guy with the tan-ish Tahoe? think I watched his video, he cut up the factory line in his video with a hacksaw.
I saw his explanation for how he put the new line in, but this being my first time working on hard lines, I'm a little nervous obviously.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cbrpilot2