Bought a Yukon XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up an '04 Yukon XL to replace my '01 Suburban that was totaled. Insurance gave me just shy of $4000 for the ''Burb, and I spent $4200 for the 'Kon. I also bought back the 'Burb for $800, so I get to take everything I had on it and put it on the 'Kon, including the 285/75/16's, springs and spacers, and shocks. As an added bonus, I have a spare 5.3, transmission, full interior, almost all the glass... Just don't have a good rearend, as the other driver hit it square, pushed it over 3", tearing the frame in the process. Hence, the reason for being totaled.

The Yukon XL has the GT4 rear end, 3.73 gears, with an Automatic, same as the 'Burb had. I don't plan on ever regearing at close to $2000 for everything installed, so won't ever go beyond a 35" tire. I don't use the truck for going deep off-road, it's primarily my work truck, but I do occasionally have to go down some old logging roads. Same thing I used my 'Burb for.

I plan on lifting it so I can clear 35's at some point, and I have two ways to do it.
I can either go with keys and spacers, and a 3" body lift, OR I can go with a 6" full suspension lift. My third option is a 6" kit, AND the body lift.

It's not worth the effort to remove the front keys, but I can easily remover the rear coils and spacers, and all 4 shocks. Another $40 spent for the front keys, they can be reinstalled in the Yukon. I've found a Zone body lift for $330 shipped to my door. If I have a buddy do the work, probably $250 in labor. I could clear the 35's without a problem, I was close with doing a little body "massaging" on my Suburban without a BL.

Or, I can drop $1400 for a Rough Country NTD 6" kit, and spend about $400 in labor.

And lastly, with the 6" and the body lift, I'd have tons of room. I did keep the steps on the Yukon XL, I'd definitely need them to get in. Would the 9" of lift and 35's look odd? I know 37's would look better, but again, I'm not about to spend $2000 more for gears.

Thoughts?

Matt_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd go straight to the NTB 6" kit. If you do keys/blocks/BL, you'll also need to get the pitman/idler arm supports to handle the larger tires with the angles on the steering components, which altogether put you near the price of the RC kit anyway.

Countryboy07

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I second going straight to the 6" lift. You'll be much happier in the end with ride quality.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz