Bose --> Everything New. Bypass Needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
1992rs

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as the bezel, I'm not sure if you know it or not but since you have an 02 Denali your dash bezel is different than any of the others. Yukons and Tahoes have flat areas around where the HU is and no wood grain around the edges. The Denalis have a rounded area around the HU that doesn't allow us to make the opening bigger without looking like shit. The only option we have is to get a Denali DD dash bezel out of an 03-up. They're getting hard to come by, so you'll want to start looking on Ebay right away. I originally settled for one with a crack in it for a few months until a better one became available. Good luck.

View attachment 74473
Yeah I'm aware of the bezel being different on Denalis and the easiest way is going the 03-06 bezel. I just wanted to see how @Cattivo did is dd swap. How much did your bezel set you back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine was around $120. I originally tried modifying my 02 bezel like the Tahoe ones but it didn't come out. I ruined it and I'm pretty good at that kind of stuff. If it wasn't a Denali it would be cake. Those radiused edges are impossible to re-form. I've never seen anybody successfully make a Denali single DIN into a double DIN.

OP
OP
1992rs

1992rs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine was around $120. I originally tried modifying my 02 bezel like the Tahoe ones but it didn't come out. I ruined it and I'm pretty good at that kind of stuff. If it wasn't a Denali it would be cake. Those radiused edges are impossible to re-form. I've never seen anybody successfully make a Denali single DIN into a double DIN.
Yeah me neither. They all look hacked to shit. Tahoes have it much easier, especially now that metra made a double din bezel for them

When you did the swap did you cut the plastic between the center console and the bezel or did the 03 bezel fit over that piece? I've always wondered about that part of the swap.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't have to cut it, the bezel fit perfect. The only problem is the HVAC control needs to be moved down a little and out. I just fabbed a couple spacers out of wood. Also if you have the CD changer down below I was able to get a Metra single DIN pocket and fab the brackets off the changer onto the pocket so it would slide in just like the CD changer did. Just have to measure careful.

IMG_2463.JPG

IMG_2464.JPG

IMG_2467.JPG

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And if you go with the Thunderform enclosure, here's a couple pics of how I mounted my LUX amp if you decide to keep yours. You can also mount a different amp there. This is the only way to keep the LUX amp with the Thunderform enclosure without lengthening the wires. I also went with a JL sub instead of the Polk in the picture, running off a Picasso Nano amp. As you can see, the LUX amp is pretty decent. I'm not sure on the specs but it definitely pushes the new door and rear pillar speakers.

photo1.jpg
photo31.jpg

img_4332-jpg.65471

DDenali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And if you go with the Thunderform enclosure, here's a couple pics of how I mounted my LUX amp if you decide to keep yours. You can also mount a different amp there. This is the only way to keep the LUX amp with the Thunderform enclosure without lengthening the wires. I also went with a JL sub instead of the Polk in the picture, running off a Picasso Nano amp. As you can see, the LUX amp is pretty decent. I'm not sure on the specs but it definitely pushes the new door and rear pillar speakers.

photo1.jpg
photo31.jpg

img_4332-jpg.65471
@Red Rocket thanks a lot for the pics very useful I believe I'm gonna do exactly what you've done with you sub and amp setup. I got lucky and purchased a 04 denali bezel a while ago because I couldn't see myself being able to hack up a perfect bezel

Cattivo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off good job on the install! my end goal is to have a double din and a digital sound processor. The double din I want is ridiculously expensive and since I'm not willing to compromise on a lesser hu, I'll settle with the budget route I'm going now. Plus my alpine has enough tuning adjustments to satisfy the lack of sound processor.

Did your truck come with either Bose system? Do you have a picture of your hu in the daytime to see the bezel?

I won't be reusing any factory wiring except to power the hu or what I have to. I'll be running 12-gauge to the speakers, 0 gauge power and ground to both amps or I'll have some distribution block setup.

My install is going to take some time and I planned on that since maintenance comes first and I need some front end work. I still need the speakers, sub, thunderform, maybe a new mono and other odds and ends. I'll be looking for deals when I can.

My truck didn't come with the Bose, just a standard gm radio but there was an amp behind the glovebox that i didn't feel like bypassing.

I'll try and get some daytime pics of the fitment for you. I'm not going as extreme as i usually do with the system decibel wise, at 43 my ears can't take too much bass anymore lol. Make sure when you run the 0 awg power and ground to run it on one side of the truck(drivers side) and run your rca's & speaker wire on the other side(passenger side)

If you need speakers, i have 4 extra Rockford Fosgates i ordered by mistake brand new still in the box.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithMO