Bosch 160 Amp alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
blueinkd

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought I should post because it seems I found the cause of high charge voltage. It was the new battery. I got time to go have it tested and the tester said low cranking amps. Something was wrong with that new battery. The store gave me another new battery and it seems to have fixed the issue. I can see the adaptive system charge the battery after starting and then reduce the volts to around 13. No more 15.2 volts while driving for long periods.
Probably shorted internally. Both my alternator and battery were replaced when this happened. First my battery and it didn't fix the problem. A week later my alternator and problem solved.

2006Tahoe2WD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@blueinkd
That makes sense. The alternator and computer control are pushing a high current into the battery to get the battery to come up to voltage but it doesn't. This results in a continuous high alt. output. Someone probably knows how to explain this better. Like a good mechanic I follows said - new parts are not always good.