Bosch 160 Amp alternator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 Tahoe. Been chasing intermittent battery drain issue last two weeks. My girlfriend has been driving my truck. Todsy it was hooked up to my friends Snap On Zeus with his amp meter tester. We measured a drain of .05-.08 Milliamps across 4-5 hours of observation. Going home I noticed the battery gauge below 14 volts got home and multimeter read 12.5-13.5 at idle. Never went above 14 volts. So I'm leaning towards bad alternator. Might go back to my buddies house tomorrow to see what he can check with his scanner.
Question is: What is the difference on the Bosh 160 alternator besides the obvious case? I'm trying to buy a replacement one tomorrow from Autozone but don't want Reman.

The new one looks like this but notes indicate it's for Bosch equipped trucks.

https://www.autozone.com/batteries-...t-gold-new-alternator-dlg2207-16-2/224305_0_0

Screenshot_20210320-210634_Chrome.jpg Screenshot_20210320-210618_Chrome.jpg

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Are you sure that the drain that was measured was .05 to .08 ma? Sure you don't mean that was in amps? (would be 50 to 80 ma)

On my '04 I have the automatic HVAC control, and the spec for that to go to sleep is a bit over 4 hours. Draws probably 60-some ma until it sleeps. Mine takes about 3.5 hrs. to go night-night, then it's down to about 30ma total draw.

And does your truck have the variable voltage sensor that adjusts the charge voltage? I forget what they call that....

OP
OP
blueinkd

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The snap on scanner measured 0.05-0.08 milliamps through the entire 3-4 hours we watched it. It took less then 10-15 mins for it to reach this. I do have the auto Temps but don't like to use it, I normally set the temp where I want it. I do believe the 05s have the computer regulated alternator function.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It doesn't matter if you use the HVAC control or not, at least on mine. It wakes up on most drive cycles and stays awake for a while after shutting down the truck.

Is this SnapOn scanner measuring the overall draw inductively, or is it connected inline with the negative battery cable? It's very difficult to accurately measure ma unless using direct connection or a shunt. The ma numbers you are stating are suspect; not many meters read that low. And if they're correct they're nothing to be concerned about. Generally a 50ma or less draw while asleep is good.

I would suggest using one of many available test procedures to isolate the circuit that is giving you problems. Eric O at South Main Auto on YouTube has several videos about parasitic drain, how to measure drain across a fuse without pulling the fuse, etc. If you need more direction finding those resources let us know. Search for "parasitic" here on TYF, too.

A few wild guesses:

Have the battery load tested.

Leaving the radio on when shutting down the truck (allowing RAP to keep it on), does it shut off when you open any door? It should. The interior lights should also fade out within a minute after closing the door. If they don't, suspect the driver's door latch.

Also on a whim, you might gently disconnect your PCM connectors from the PCM and inspect them for corrosion or water intrusion.

OP
OP
blueinkd

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
He had some probe connected around the negative battery cable and that was exactly what the snap on reader was seeing. We tried several things. Drove it parked it, blasted radio for 30 mins and turned it off, let it idle in his driveway and turned it off. All results lead to those readings after 15-20 mins of being off and scanner reading.

My main question for this thread was the alternator appearance. Mine looks like the rebuilt unit from AZ. I want a new one so I have the Gold NEW unit in the garage which has same plug for regulator but different case. It's notes say for Bosch 160 amp . Any comments on using the new unit?

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with above. Must be a sophisticated multimeter to read .05-.08ma. That is a very small amount of current, and IMO, you could leave that draw on a truck battery for days, if not weeks, before the battery would be drained.

Other folks more familiar with the specific alternator details related to your question will chime in with their perspectives.

OP
OP
blueinkd

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes. The snap on Zeus is not your average scanner. As I understand its a $10k plus device.

Sam I took your advice disconnected and cleaned out my ECM connections. There was some dark oil crap on them! Probably oil from gearbox?? It was on the lower end of both connectors. Hit it with some electrical contact cleaner and blew both out with compressor air. Seeing a solid 14.8 on voltmeter while truck is idling. Going to drive it all day and keep eye on gauge for drops

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
About the alternators, then, it looks to me like the connector clocking is different. One is on the back of the case and the other is on the side, at somewhat different clock positions relative to the main mounting ear. No idea if they're interchangeable.

OP
OP
blueinkd

blueinkd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well. Alternator definitely still not charging. After 5 mins of driving gauge sitting below 14. Tested with voltmeter and barely at 12.6-13 at idle

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats the computer controlling the voltage, At the alternator should be 12.7-13v min. output. Now another issue is an AZ reman may not follow the factory map for voltages, or a weak battery doesn't have the reserve capacity left. A battery load test is a good idea. No reason to run a 160 amp if you don't need it. (total Load).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
44Dan