Borla exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That exhaust is 30' long and that's a built motor.
What does it matter if it's built or not? Only the exhaust size changes..point was larger diameter pipe made more power.

Why would you want to downsize your factory pipe anyway? I'd love to have 3.5" exhaust on my truck. It needs it and I'm just cammed with headers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TechSupport

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does it matter if it's built or not? Only the exhaust size changes..point was larger diameter pipe made more power.

Why would you want to downsize your factory pipe anyway? I'd love to have 3.5" exhaust on my truck. It needs it and I'm just cammed with headers.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I'm no engine builder, but that's a carbureted engine with jets tuned for open exhaust. They even said that it was running rich. I'm willing to bet if they tuned it for each exhaust they installed it would have made better power then what it did with just slapping an exhaust on.
At least with a fuel injected engine it will adjust it self for the intake and exhaust you install.

OP
OP
2manycars4me

2manycars4me

Reaction score
The exhaust came in today. I will get it put on tomorrow morning and see how it does. I'll charge up the GO Pro and take some sound clips on the way to the shop and back with the exhaust. I agree with other people about the flow versus the size of the piping. If you restrict the mufflers you do the equivalent of downsizing the piping. I've had Corsa exhausts on a few other vehicles and there is noticeable improvement in vehicle performance with the less restrictive exhaust. I wonder if anyone has done flow tests with the different exhaust systems?

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The exhaust came in today. I will get it put on tomorrow morning and see how it does. I'll charge up the GO Pro and take some sound clips on the way to the shop and back with the exhaust. I agree with other people about the flow versus the size of the piping. If you restrict the mufflers you do the equivalent of downsizing the piping. I've had Corsa exhausts on a few other vehicles and there is noticeable improvement in vehicle performance with the less restrictive exhaust. I wonder if anyone has done flow tests with the different exhaust systems?

I'd love to see a same day dyno done on it. I so badly want a new airbox and cat back but the frickin pipe size is a no go for me. Ugh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RThomasII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for my own clarification are we talking about the 6.2L Borla exhaust being 3" vs. 3.5" for the stock exhaust or is that for the 5.3L engine?

Checking the specs over on the Borla website shows the 5.3L Tahoe exhaust 2.75" into the muffler and 2.25" dual pipes to the tips. Those same measurements also apply to the pickup. I just got a recall notice in the mail for faulty airbags or some such nonsense and I was planning to have the CAI kit and the Borla exhaust from the GM accessories catalog installed at the same time as the recall work. More importantly, I can't seem to find any "claimed" performance gains associated with this exhaust at all. Does that mean that all I can expect is a better sounding truck?

OP
OP
2manycars4me

2manycars4me

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the performance side how much you gain. The Borla I got was for the 6.2L. It sounds much better. I could hear the difference in the truck once I started it at the shop. The exhaust has a nice rumble to it now and when you hit it on the road there is a noticeable difference in the truck.

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for my own clarification are we talking about the 6.2L Borla exhaust being 3" vs. 3.5" for the stock exhaust or is that for the 5.3L engine?

Checking the specs over on the Borla website shows the 5.3L Tahoe exhaust 2.75" into the muffler and 2.25" dual pipes to the tips. Those same measurements also apply to the pickup. I just got a recall notice in the mail for faulty airbags or some such nonsense and I was planning to have the CAI kit and the Borla exhaust from the GM accessories catalog installed at the same time as the recall work. More importantly, I can't seem to find any "claimed" performance gains associated with this exhaust at all. Does that mean that all I can expect is a better sounding truck?

The 6.2l kit for the Yukon is a 3" pipe. The factory exhaust is a 3.5". Some here have claimed it gives them more power, others claim it's noticeably reduced their power.

The Sierra kit does NOT shrink the pipe to 3", it keeps it at 3.5" all the way through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NowZoomer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure on the performance side how much you gain. The Borla I got was for the 6.2L. It sounds much better. I could hear the difference in the truck once I started it at the shop. The exhaust has a nice rumble to it now and when you hit it on the road there is a noticeable difference in the truck.

No chance of before and after dyno runs? That would put to bed the argument of 3.5" OEM vs Borla 3"

gdfein

Reaction score
Can the 3.5" Borla for the 6.2 Sierra be used on the Yukon/Esky, and if yes would this be the swb or lwb SUV?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laurents10