Borgeson Steering Gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just wondered if anyone here has installed a new Borgeson steering gear in their Yukon?

thanks,

Stu

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interested as well. Do you know how a quick ratio would handle versus the stock? Believe it was 15:1?

Two things look promising: it’s assembled in the US and they painted the housing parts before assembly instead of just blasting everything with paint like the cheap remans.

C993A495-916F-4127-AE85-F7D34DC4CC32.png

OP
OP
S

stu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
According to their tech support the close ratio title only applies to some other vehicle, not the Yukon so the 3 turns lock to lock remains the same. I also ordered the U-joint steering shaft to go with the new steering gear which eliminates the rag connector.
Stu

sbnova

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I bought and installed a Redhead steering gear a couple of years ago in my 1988 C1500 and its been amazing. I bought their quick ratio and it was very noticeable.

ivin74

05 NBS Nali
Reaction score
Interested as well. Do you know how a quick ratio would handle versus the stock? Believe it was 15:1?

Two things look promising: it’s assembled in the US and they painted the housing parts before assembly instead of just blasting everything with paint like the cheap remans.

View attachment 393516
With the oem 15:1 ratio it takes 3-3.5 steering wheel turns for full lock. The performance ratio12.7:7 takes 2-2.5 steering wheel turns for full lock

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've gone through the GM rebuilt Steering Gear process several times, not pleasant. R&R and ship several times per vehicle till I got a good one. Then I read on here about Lares/Blue top/Red Head/now Borgeson. Finally good options!

OP
OP
S

stu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well it took awhile to get 'round to it" but finally had the Borgeson steering gear and steering shaft installed. Installation was a bolt up. No problems at all. The steering no longer has any play whatsoever, BUT the steering effort has increased at least 3 fold. While I did not measure steering wheel drag (fish weight scale pulling steering wheel around) before I started, I'm a retired Mercedes mechanic and quite well understand steering effort. The increase in steering effort with this steering gear is marked. One of the joys of driving the olde Yuk was the light/polite steering. I'll see how it wears in and if the effort decreases at all but it is absolutely something to consider if you are thinking of this steering gear. The precision in the steering is a joy though. There is no wander and no steering wheel movement to maintain straight ahead as the old steering gear was doing. It is very relaxing driving straight ahead once you get used to the idea that you don't have to move the steering wheel. Truck has 97,000 miles on it.

Last edited: