Body panels not aligned? Common or not?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cody W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I just picked up my new to me 2017 Yukon Denali and noticed that some of the body panels are not fully aligned. Affected is the drivers door and passenger rear door. I guess my only question is if this is common or not? This truck has a clean carfax. I guess its possible it could have been involved in an accident and not reported but nothing else indicates any kind of repair work to the truck.

door11.png door12.png
door13.png

Thanks
-Cody

Jeff_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!
I’ve been a Chevy lover my whole life and own 3 as I type this. That being said, that looks pretty normal for a GM product.
Others could chime in if I’m wrong.
Additionally, check the rubber seals around the doors to see if any are loose or have slipped which might be slightly pushing out the door.
Doesn’t explain the uneven fender and door lines though.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the other thing to remember as a vehicle gets miles on it things wear and the vehicle flexes as its being driven. door pins and latches might not be in the exact original position anymore. a hinge might have shifted a bit or a fender or other various parts can shift a bit. so yes it is semi common to see a vehicle not perfectly aligned anymore. it also very possible body work was done at some point and not reported. if you want it corrected find a notable body shop and have them do a free estimate. give them the same information you mentioned here. they will happily tell you if the carfax information is false and if you ask they may even be able show you the proof on the vehicle. a good body shop should be able to spot signs of body work.

OP
OP
Cody W

Cody W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums!
I’ve been a Chevy lover my whole life and own 3 as I type this. That being said, that looks pretty normal for a GM product.
Others could chime in if I’m wrong.
Additionally, check the rubber seals around the doors to see if any are loose or have slipped which might be slightly pushing out the door.
Doesn’t explain the uneven fender and door lines though.

I'll check the seals. Thanks!

the other thing to remember as a vehicle gets miles on it things wear and the vehicle flexes as its being driven. door pins and latches might not be in the exact original position anymore. a hinge might have shifted a bit or a fender or other various parts can shift a bit. so yes it is semi common to see a vehicle not perfectly aligned anymore. it also very possible body work was done at some point and not reported. if you want it corrected find a notable body shop and have them do a free estimate. give them the same information you mentioned here. they will happily tell you if the carfax information is false and if you ask they may even be able show you the proof on the vehicle. a good body shop should be able to spot signs of body work.

Good point. This truck only has 25k miles on it, that being said the roads here in Mass are bad so that may have something to do with it. I'll bring it to my body shop and see what they say. Thanks!

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'll check the seals. Thanks!

Good point. This truck only has 25k miles on it, that being said the roads here in Mass are bad so that may have something to do with it. I'll bring it to my body shop and see what they say. Thanks!
25k id lean more with the factory laziness. with seals id see the door inset more than it should be but your door in the picture looks like it's being pushed outward. unless the door seal is brand new.

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My Passenger side rear door looks like your last pic and does stick out slightly. So I would agree with previous statements as this seems to be normal and/or acceptable for a GM product.

Since you just purchased it if you can access the dealer you purchased it from and they have a body shop you may be able to see if they could adjust the doors any for you? However, from my experience that can be hit or miss; It is highly likely they will give you the ole "Oh that's ok, it's within normal tolerances?"

OR... You could try saying something like:
"I'm getting a little wind noise from the ______ area..."
"There seems to be some cold air coming in from the ______ area..."
"...And noticed that the rear doors seem to be misaligned slightly and wondered if that may be causing the issue. Is that something you guys could look into and possibly adjust?"

Just be prepared that depending on the capabilities and quality of the dealer you could be opening up a can of worms that is best left closed...

OP
OP
Cody W

Cody W

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
25k id lean more with the factory laziness. with seals id see the door inset more than it should be but your door in the picture looks like it's being pushed outward. unless the door seal is brand new.

That's too bad. I traded in my 2017 Sierra 1500 and all the panels were fine on that truck.

My Passenger side rear door looks like your last pic and does stick out slightly. So I would agree with previous statements as this seems to be normal and/or acceptable for a GM product.

Since you just purchased it if you can access the dealer you purchased it from and they have a body shop you may be able to see if they could adjust the doors any for you? However, from my experience that can be hit or miss; It is highly likely they will give you the ole "Oh that's ok, it's within normal tolerances?"

OR... You could try saying something like:
"I'm getting a little wind noise from the ______ area..."
"There seems to be some cold air coming in from the ______ area..."
"...And noticed that the rear doors seem to be misaligned slightly and wondered if that may be causing the issue. Is that something you guys could look into and possibly adjust?"

Just be prepared that depending on the capabilities and quality of the dealer you could be opening up a can of worms that is best left closed...

Thanks. I'll heed your advice.

Tahoe14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its normal, had three newer style Tahoes and suffered from the doors not lining up perfectly especially at the bottom. I think I would leave well enough alone so you don't create a wind noise or water leak.

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same with my 18. The front fender on the driver side is not flat with the door. Sticks out a bit. It’s best to leave it alone. I don’t want them screwing with it. It will come back with paint chips and scratches. I didn’t notice it until I washed it the first time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fishcop076