Blue smoke on cold start and excessive oil consumption 2005 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
best to use a compressor to fill the cylinders to keep the valves from dropping, but you can also use rope, feed it in the plug hole then turn the engine over by hand till you feel it not turning. now the rope is pushing up on both valves and you can take the springs off.

I was using my dad's old farm air compressor to hold the valves up doing a spring job on my '99 Trans Am while swapping cams back in the day. Compressor failed (and spit oil everywhere) and valve dropped. :mad:

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was using my dad's old farm air compressor to hold the valves up doing a spring job on my '99 Trans Am while swapping cams back in the day. Compressor failed (and spit oil everywhere) and valve dropped. :mad:

damn that really sucks.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
Replaced the left side valve cover (built in PCV valve) as recommended with the updated design-valve cover GM Part # 12570427. Pictures of the old valve cover shown here. Quite a bit of buildup at the drain openings which probably allowed oil mist to move through the PCV valve. We'll see if this rectifies the situation. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Tahoe left side rocker cover .jpg Tahoe left side rocker cover 1.jpg Tahoe left side rocker cover 2.jpg Tahoe left side rocker cover 3.jpg Tahoe left side rocker cover PCV 1.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
While the updated valve cover can't hurt, I agree with @Scottydoggs and @89Suburban say. At that mileage the seals are likely the cause of the blue smoke at start up. The longer you sit after shutting off the engine, the more smoke you see. If I was really doing it right I would pull the heads and do valve guides as well and surface the heads and do new head bolts and gaskets. The easier patch is just doing the seals.

OP
OP
Tahoe97

Tahoe97

Reaction score
So far no blue smoke from the tail pipe at start up or anytime thereafter. Can the forum members assisting me with this post help me find the correct AC/Delco part number for the hose that comes out of the PCV valve and feeds over and into the top of the engine? This is a 5.3L 2005 Tahoe, VIN #1GNEC13T25J209032. I know for sure AC/Delco part # 12582227 is not the correct one. I thought I would replace that line now that I have a clean valve cover and clean PCV valve. I can only imagine the residue in that line which is the reason I thought I would put on a new one. Thanks for the help!

PCV Valve Hose.jpg

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So far no blue smoke from the tail pipe at start up or anytime thereafter. Can the forum members assisting me with this post help me find the correct AC/Delco part number for the hose that comes out of the PCV valve and feeds over and into the top of the engine? This is a 5.3L 2005 Tahoe, VIN #1GNEC13T25J209032. I know for sure AC/Delco part # 12582227 is not the correct one. I thought I would replace that line now that I have a clean valve cover and clean PCV valve. I can only imagine the residue in that line which is the reason I thought I would put on a new one. Thanks for the help!

View attachment 261860

id re use that line, why spend money needlessly. if you think its caked up spray it out with brake cleaner. or just put a catch can between them two ports.

dougo

Reaction score
I would first try a Seafoam or Marvel mystery oil treatment in both the gas tank and oil follow the instructions for the amount for the crankcase the gas tank i would is 1 oz per gallon of the Seafoam you might be surprised Never use trans fluid for cleaning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons