Blower Motor Resistor, or is it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently own a 05 Yukon Denali and need help with my AC. A while back my ac would continue to stay on after I turned off the vehicle and would stay on for several minutes. This went on for about a week and then the front ac would stop blowing entirely. It would work sometimes and not others, now it doesn't work at all unless I open the vent and drive fast. I came on to this site and quickly found a thread that led me to believe it was the Blower Motor Resistor, however I finally today walked into a local parts store and could not remember the name of the part so I proceeded to explain my problem which they gave me several parts that the problem could be. The diagnostic costs $100 so I just walked away, any and all help would be appreciated. BTW, I was told it could be the Blower Motor itself among other things I cannot remember. Thank in advance.

nmsyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is pretty much the same thing that happened when my resistor went out. The blower motor would just keep running until i unplugged it or the fuse. Since you have a denali, you have the automatic controls and will therefore need a different resistor than the ones that they sell at autozone or any parts store.

If it is the resistor that is bad, then i think you will need part number GM 89018778 .

Last edited:
OP
OP
denalimike

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I went to AC Delco. They usually distribute to other parts stores but are open to the public. In your opinion, is it just the BMR?

nmsyukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I edited my first post to include the part number. When i needed one, every place i went told me it was a dealer only item. Although i would think ac delco would be able to get it.

This happened to both my yukon and my dads avalanche. The blower stopped working for the most part and it would continue running after the vehicle was shut off(when it was actually working). So, to me, it sounds like you are having the same issue. I think the resistor is about $90.

Edit: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CHEV...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:
OP
OP
denalimike

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First off, thanks for your help but in reading the info on ebay and previous posts, it seems like the blower would at least work on one speed. My problem is after about a month or so, it stopped working all together, the only way I could get cold air was if I drove with the vent open and went about 50 mph. otherwise, sitting at stop lights is really hot and I have to rely on the rear a/c.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have auto HVAC, you need a blower control module. Auto HVAC doesn't have a resistor.

OP
OP
denalimike

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE, I finally got up the courage to remove my blower motor. The hard part was removing the third screwbolt that held the lower dash up. (never got it off, just pushed aside) I removed and ran a test line to the plug, POWER. Proceeded to remove the blower motor, As I look at it, it doesn't need screws, justs a clip and a quick spin for removal but the wierd thing is, As I look at the replacements, they have 3 screw holes. I finally found an exact match but of course it was with AC Delco. before I order it, I was hoping to get opinions of folks on here that this is more than likely the issue. I am planning on taking it to autozone tomorrow to have a power line ran to it. (motor) Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
denalimike

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure I understand. What is an Auto HVAC? I honestly don't think it was the resistor even if i don't have one because it never was stuck on one speed. (from what I read)

OP
OP
denalimike

denalimike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
got back after testing motor, it works. mechanic asked me to test ground with tester using both positive and negative on wires instead of grounding out on the side. It's the ground. No light. Not sure how to fix this but will call up shops. Not getting original mech to help because although I trust his opinion, I don't trust his co-mechanics and I don't leave my truck just anywhere.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Purolator