Blend Door Actuator

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ilmk123

Reaction score
I have had a clicking sound underneath the dash. Sounds simular to a turn signal click. When I would shut off the Climate Control the sound would quit. Today I had the A/C charged and now the front blow warm air and the rear is cold. I am assuming it is the blend door actuator or the servo that runs it. I am looking for advice on how to diagonse the problem and how to tear it apart and fix it.... Thank You! Scott

chip

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's DIY thread on that here somewhere. Try searching for it.

Poncherello

Reaction score
I had the same issue when I had my 05 but with no clicking noise. I cured it by removing the two HVAC fuses from the driver side dash fuse panel. I don't remember what numbers they were but they were one on top of the other. I left them out for about a minute and then reinstalled them. When I started the truck the HVAC relearned the original settings and the problem was solved. If you are getting the clicking sound I'm thinking you have an issue with the actuator itself. Check the owner's manual for the fuse numbers, I'd check mine for you but I got rid of the truck last month.

Last edited:
OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
This is what I know so far. The actuator on the drivers side that was making noise moves the lever for the defrost,vents, heater. It rocks back and forth when the air is coming out the vents. I will replace that one. I took the actuator off that is by the center consol. That one controls the drivers side blend. The problem I am still having is cold air in the rear and warm in the front. Where is the actuator located for the pass side? Anybody have and suggestions on what the problem might be?...... Thanks Scott

p c

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have the same issue described below on my '05 ESV. Tried the fuse thing, but now it will only blow out the defrost. Do I have to have it set a certain way when removing the fuses so it relearns correctly? any ideas?

I had the same issue when I had my 05 but with no clicking noise. I cured it by removing the two HVAC fuses from the driver side dash fuse panel. I don't remember what numbers they were but they were one on top of the other. I left them out for about a minute and then reinstalled them. When I started the truck the HVAC relearned the original settings and the problem was solved. If you are getting the clicking sound I'm thinking you have an issue with the actuator itself. Check the owner's manual for the fuse numbers, I'd check mine for you but I got rid of the truck last month.

OP
OP
ilmk123

ilmk123

Reaction score
First once you get actuator, new or used, make sure it can not move( I mean the metal know shouldn't be able to move by hand and diffenently don't move with pliers), if so, it is probably bad, if not go ahead and install the way it comes, and reconnect wiring. Then you will disconnect the battery for atleast 30 seconds. Then reconnect battery, turn the ignition to the ON position for atleast 1 minute, but he suggested 3-4 minutes so that's what I did, and DO NOT TOUCH THE A/C CONTROLS!!! You will then turn ignition to the OFF position for atleast 10 seconds, then start the engine and confirm the new actuator is working correctly by turning the climate knob from cold to hot. If all was done correctly it will work!! I checked the actuator by being on the passenger side, turning ignition on, moving climate knob, and sticking my head under dash to watch for the actuator to move.

I would advise anybody with actuator troubles to try this method. I know that it will resink all of your actuators. I copied this from a post from WHITEOUT. Do a search for blend door actuators and you will find it...........Scott

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
melsayed