Blend Door Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redoak76

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2013 Z71 Tahoe. Lost air on drivers side last week which turned to heat. Air blowing cold on passenger side and in rear. I figured blend door actuator was bad so I pulled it to replace and while doing this the tab that protrudes through the air box and fits into the actuator from the blend door literally fell into my hand in pieces. So I’ve looked high and low for someone who’s experienced this but haven’t found anything. I know at this point I’m heading towards pulling the dash to be able to replace this but was curious if anyone has done this job or knows where I could get info on pulling the dash, etc or possibly a different approach to fix the problem. Thanks in advance!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2013 Z71 Tahoe. Lost air on drivers side last week which turned to heat. Air blowing cold on passenger side and in rear. I figured blend door actuator was bad so I pulled it to replace and while doing this the tab that protrudes through the air box and fits into the actuator from the blend door literally fell into my hand in pieces. So I’ve looked high and low for someone who’s experienced this but haven’t found anything. I know at this point I’m heading towards pulling the dash to be able to replace this but was curious if anyone has done this job or knows where I could get info on pulling the dash, etc or possibly a different approach to fix the problem. Thanks in advance!
dorman sells repair kits but not sure if they do for our trucks or not, you might be able to drill it and macgyver a piece in there to make it work
it's just a plastic door that rotates back n forth, so if you can replace the spindle part that broke then it's fixed.
maybe you can dremel a piece of plastic rod that you can drill thru to put a screw in the door and shape the bottom to fit the actuator.
just an idea, I fix wierd stuff like that often. It wouldn't have to be perfect just needs to work.....

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might search LinkedIn for mechanics in your area that work at GM dealerships, or a facebook post or something like that.

The dash has to be moved into the service position so you can access the airbox to take it out and make the repairs. There's a lot of little processes but nothing overly difficult with the right tools and patience.

There were some great videos on this once on Youtube but the dealership pulled them down. There has got to be others though, everything is on there!

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
great writeup with photos for dash removal..

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might search LinkedIn for mechanics in your area that work at GM dealerships, or a facebook post or something like that.

The dash has to be moved into the service position so you can access the airbox to take it out and make the repairs. There's a lot of little processes but nothing overly difficult with the right tools and patience.

There were some great videos on this once on Youtube but the dealership pulled them down. There has got to be others though, everything is on there!

the dealership got youtube to remove the how to videos?

wow that's just awful. ugh. unless maybe the employees recorded it on the clock in the dealership shop but even that's a stretch. it's flat rate. it's not like going slower to record something hurts anyone but the tech. shady

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the dealership got youtube to remove the how to videos?

wow that's just awful. ugh. unless maybe the employees recorded it on the clock in the dealership shop but even that's a stretch. it's flat rate. it's not like going slower to record something hurts anyone but the tech. shady
Exactly right, the tech recorded as an employee at the dealership. Don't remember all the details but the explanation is on social media somewhere. It was a cashmere/cocoa interior and he was wearing gloves.

j91z28d1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Exactly right, the tech recorded as an employee at the dealership. Don't remember all the details but the explanation is on social media somewhere. It was a cashmere/cocoa interior and he was wearing gloves.

bit of a Grey area I guess, if he did something in it that showed the company in a bad light, I could see it. but if they just didn't want people to know how to do it themselves, because it might take away work. that's a shame.

guy I work with is huge into tik tok, oddly he's old than me lol. I'm like you definitely wanna edit out anything that has a company name on it. you never know who's watching. they have entire teams in place now to handle social media and try to head off anything negative these days.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wilbert two