Black Denali Grille

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hoganator

Reaction score
I want to blacken the chrome honeycomb grille on a 2016 Yukon Denali but leave the outside surround chrome. I'm going for the look on the pic attached. Has anyone done this and what method did you use to do it?

Denali Black Grille pic.jpg

bamachem

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the whole thing with plastidip to see if I liked the look. Now I'm going back and peeling the plastidip off to replace it all with satin black single stage paint for durability.

If you don't think you'll reget it, use paint.

If you use plastidip, no need to mask anything off, just spray it and peel off the excess. For paint, you'll have to mask everything off and put some cardboard behind the grille to keep overspray off the radiator/condenser. Removing the grille is a pain.

ANstoG5.jpg

CMoore711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I know this off topic; Did you plastidip the chrome trim on your retractable steps as well? If so how’s that holding up? If not, how’d you get rid of the chrome trim there?

HunterWhiteBus

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Has anyone tried to vinyl wrap their Denali grill instead?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Take the grille out and bring to a body shop. It’ll be done right and will last. If you’re near Houston, I’ll do it for you.

OP
OP
Hoganator

Hoganator

Reaction score
Take the grille out and bring to a body shop. It’ll be done right and will last. If you’re near Houston, I’ll do it for you.

Up here in DFW unfortunately. Know anyone up this way? Thanks

bamachem

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know this off topic; Did you plastidip the chrome trim on your retractable steps as well? If so how’s that holding up? If not, how’d you get rid of the chrome trim there?

I tried plastidip. Lasted about a week before it started to peel at the wear spots from getting in/out. Peeled that off and painted them. It seems to be holding up great now.

I also had plastidip "wear" issues at the door handles. It just doesn't stand up to the use. I had to mask everything off and paint.

umpuck

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I did the whole thing with plastidip to see if I liked the look. Now I'm going back and peeling the plastidip off to replace it all with satin black single stage paint for durability.

If you use plastidip, no need to mask anything off, just spray it and peel off the excess. For paint, you'll have to mask everything off and put some cardboard behind the grille to keep overspray off the radiator/condenser. Removing the grille is a pain.

ANstoG5.jpg

I love the tires on there! Have you noticed any change in ride quality?

cireallin

Full Access Member
Reaction score

ANstoG5.jpg
Looks great! Did you end up trimming your front fascia or install the PPV version for the Tahoe?