Black Bear Tune on my 2011 5.3L Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jmat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Going back to the Mpg discussion on this thread, I recently took a road trip totaling over 700 miles. According to the DIC, my truck averaged 19.7Mpg running an 87/89 octane tune using 91 octane. I'm a bit surprised with this number, I honestly thought it would be lower especially since the truck was loaded with three adults and packed to the headliner with camping gear and supplies. Guess what I'm asking is, is the DIC accurate?

2011Tahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I do not believe the Dic is accurate, my boss and I both have 2011's, his is a silvy but both our computers read a little low. Mine was about 1.2mpgs low on last trip over 400 miles.

Goodinblack

I Like Tacos
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The DICs are mostly inaccurate simply because the ACTUAL gallons used is more than the REPORTED gallons used.

In other words........ If your DIC says you burned 20 gallons, you really burned about 21.5.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Jmat, Based upon the 2 tanks I've ran thru it here's my math:

UPDATE: ran 2 tanks of 92 chevron thru it

DIC ended at 14.3 avg mpg.

Got 665 miles out of two tanks.

Assuming the same gas usage of 22.5 gallons on both fill-ups that puts it more around the 14.7 range.

So if you take that situation above, the DIC runs low.

However with Auto Start and long idling times that would go the other way...

Bottom line, I believe the varience between DIC vs. actual is going to be highly situational.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My experience w/ several GM trucks w/ a DIC mpg monitor is that it is always about 0.5-1.5 mpg high (optimistic) Best way to check is keep track of your gallons and miles and do the math yourself.

ghoster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My dic reported 19.5 over two tanks, when I calculated it manually it worked out to 20.5. That was on a trip, so no extra idling or remote starts.

Jmat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your comments guys. Seems like depending on your truck, the DIC results could go from too optimistic to overly pesimistic and doing the math yourself is the best/1most accurate way to go. Fortunately or maybe unfortunately, I have a 1000 mile road trip,coming up. Looks like I'll be counting' miles & gallons.

OP
OP
MACHO

MACHO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No prob bro. That's what I love about TYF. GM brethren helping each other out!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
APalmer15

Latest posts