black bear e harness melted in extreme heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad ground. Please contact ls1fans.com and they will get you taken care of.

Black Bear Performance no longer supplies these harnesses.

bottomline2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Put me on the list of harness issues as well. Yesterday the i turned the truck off and fans were still on low. So played with the A/C and finally got them to turn off. Drove the truck again and the fans stayed on again...this time i opened the hood and figured that maybe a relay was "stuck" so I tapped it and the fans shut off. Havent had time to run to the parts store to get replacement relays (keep in mind the harness is not even 3 months old). I get to work today and the fans stayed on again...this time i went to tap the relay and noticed it smelt like burning plastic...i immediately ripped the positive terminal off and looked at the harness...half of it is melted...luckily i saved it in time to be able to tape up the melted wires so at least the truck will not over heat...

wondering what would be the best plan of attack here...without rewireing the whole harness..

thanks
-Jay

Is your truck an 00-01?

Sent from my marble slab!

OP
OP
candyman74

candyman74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
new harness

i just installed the replacement harness and ill be damn if it didnt cut in and out. these need to be directly connected with terminals instead of the wiring harness. when i pushed the relays onto the harnesses it works so i electrical taped the shit out of it. if i had to do it over again id use the factory wiring harness. or i might start making my own with connectors only.

JayXSP

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thats weird cuz i installed mine over the weekend and haven't had any issues. Working as its supposed to

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone have RonG423's contact info? Sent him a Pm on here and another couple of forums a week ago, but no word back.

My harness has melted and stopped working. Checked the relays, fans, ground and power, and had Wheatley command the fans on, no luck. Wanted to see if he would be willing to replace it or give me a discount on repurchasing one. Need to get this addressed as my truck is my DD.

ferr1s

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Same Here

For the record, I've had the same issue but on a 2004 Tahoe. I've had 3 harnesses in the last 18 months and each one has had various changes to them. Justin sent me the 2nd one free of charge and the 3rd one I didn't have time to screw around, so I just ordered it online. Darn relays are hot like my wife, (except when the a/c isn't working becasue the fans are out!!!)

I've sent an email to ls1fans.com and am awaiting a reply.

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ron emailed me back and we are figuring out how to get it working or get it replaced. I'll update as it progresses.

tx tahoe z71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seeing if he will be willing to diagnose what is wrong with the harness if I pull it off and mail it back to him. Waiting on reply...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9