Bizarre noise(s) above my head???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

VAguy68

Reaction score
Hi all. 2021 Z71 and I'm experiencing weird noises on certain occassions above my head (headliner area). It comes and goes but it seems to happen after a rain and when I'm driving through heavy wind.

I swear it sounds like water gurgling around and some rattling. I've looked at the windshield weatherstripping as well as sunroof and all seem tight. Don't feel any moisture inside on the floor or under dash.

I'm going to take it in to the dealer but I fear it's going to be one of those things that they can't hear it and it's going to drive me nuts.

Any thoughts (other than turning up the radio)?

tomgilk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It's a common problem I believe, have it sometimes on my Z71. Its an issue with the drainage from the sunroof I believe. When I was at Chevy last they knew of the issue but didn't have a fix. Probably do by now but it hasn't really rained lately so I sort of forgot about it.

Holy Roller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well documented issue with an easy resolution. There’s a TSB covering it. Any competent dealer will be able to bring it to a satisfactory resolution.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many enjoy the sunroof? If I were to order I'd forgo the sunroof and that goes for the Lincoln or Cadillac I'd order around the sunroof. But to get the nicer interior colors, power running boards, etc., etc.. one must have a sun roof. Same goes for 22" tires and on and on. Back in the day we could order exactly what we wanted and no more. Packages, can't go without the expense of things we don't want. Lamenting over.

Last edited:

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How many enjoy the sunroof? If I were to order I'd forgo the sunroof and that goes for the Lincoln or Cadillac I'd order around the sunroof. But to get the nicer interior colors, power running boards, etc., etc.. one must have a sun roof. Same goes for 22" tires and on and on. Back in the day we could order exactly what we wanted and no more. Packages, can't go without the expense of things we don't want. Lamenting over.

As I've previously stated on this Forum...I have had nothing but trouble with sunroofs. The drain gets plugged and you don't notice until the rust begins around the frame to roof seals. Just what you need...a bigger HOLE! Seriously, I just can't see myself having a sunroof in any vehicle I own. Maybe a Harley Davidson flathead but that's it. JMO

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As I've previously stated on this Forum...I have had nothing but trouble with sunroofs. The drain gets plugged and you don't notice until the rust begins around the frame to roof seals. Just what you need...a bigger HOLE! Seriously, I just can't see myself having a sunroof in any vehicle I own. Maybe a Harley Davidson flathead but that's it. JMO

I hate sunroofs nothing but problems. Don't understand the love for them. Don't want any glass on my roof just steel.

OP
OP
VAguy68

VAguy68

Reaction score
So I've read that the dealers are saying to run the HVAC in the vehicle to help evacuate the water in the sunroof drain lines. What does the HVAC system have to do with the drainlines?

B520044

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had it and they completed the repair with an actual solution (no longer having us turn on HVAC). Just completed drive to Florida and no more gurgling. See below:
upload_2021-2-11_13-35-16-png.270522

OP
OP
VAguy68

VAguy68

Reaction score
I had it and they completed the repair with an actual solution (no longer having us turn on HVAC). Just completed drive to Florida and no more gurgling. See below:
upload_2021-2-11_13-35-16-png.270522
Thanks for posting this!!