Bit Of A Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Today I finished up installing the rear hangers in my tahoe (looks badass BTW) then I moved to the front to install the drop keys, but I couldn't get the bastards out.

I took the steel plate and the bolt out and figured that the keys would be loose, but no. I beat the crossmember with a hammer, sprayed the torsion bars down with PB Blaster where they go into the key, beat on the crossmember some more with a 3# sedge and finally got pissed and put it back together with the stock keys decranked.

Now is there something special that I have to do to get the keys out? I'm pretty sure that they are just suppost to come out, but I have to make sure. But in the process I found that the drivers side torsion bar crossmember mount was broken so I have to order that from GM tomorrow and I had to cancel my alignment appointment :(

So help me out if you can. I really don't want to have to rip the whole front end apart or drop the tranny crossmember if I don't have to, but it looks like it may be heading that way

Thanks in advance

Whippled2dr

Stock
Reaction score
When I did my lowering keys a while back, the driver's side came out easy but the pass side was a *****. The torsion bar wouldn't budge at all into the lower control arm in order to free the key. I sprayed it with all sorts of things and beat the living crap out of it. Eventually it gave way and slid out.

tom10

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
me and my dad had the same problem when we were gonna put bigger torsion keys in my old ones wouldnt budge my dad took his torch to em and heated em up and then hit the crossmember with a hammer the bars popped out but we had to stratighten the bracket out just a lil but thats how we did it

OP
OP
Ninety5PoloZ

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I was thinking about heating the keys, but I just don't want to get the bars hot and risk ruining them.

I'm going on vacation starting sunday and will be gone for a week but I'm going to try to get them out. It has to happen now, the back sits 3.5" lower than the front LOL

Thanks for the replies guys

OP
OP
Ninety5PoloZ

Ninety5PoloZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just pretend it's bagged out. LOL

LOL my brother told me to just leave it way cali, but my tires are a little short. If they were an inch taller I might leave it.

But bags may be in the distant future, just have to figure out how to do the front and still keep the 4 wheel drive

I'll try to get some pics tomorrow.

J-Will

#Merica
Reaction score
i too had the same prob. one came out easy. the other was a *****. maybe a little heat would help but thatd be my last resort. i use something called "croil" (sp?) let it sit for a bit, then beat the shit out of it. itll come out when you least expect it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon