Bird under the hood!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukon96

Reaction score
OK. I'm really annoyed, and embarrassed, driving down the road with this damn bird chirping under my hood,:bigbird: for everyone around me to hear. First, I try a new tentioner pulley. Chirping stopped for a day, than came back. Than replaced the belt with a new one. Good for another day, than the little ***** came back once again. Last try was the idler pulley. Good, again, for a few miles, than, same result. Don't get me wrong , I like birds, and the sounds they make, just not under my hood. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

kcb37

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take the belt off and spin each pulley you can.
You may not get noise, however it should turn smoothly. If any of the feel rough pulley's that's your problem.

Bryantkglass

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
It could possibly not even be the pulleys. Mine was making that exact noise and it's a vacuum leak. You might wanna check your intake gaskets.

Sent from my 2 Door Tahoe using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Yukon96

Yukon96

Reaction score
When I srpay the belt with belt dressing the noise stops for a few minutes, than comes back. I've checked all pulleys for play and found that the power steering pulley has a little. However, I still hear the chirping on the right side front of the motor where the tentioner pulley is, which is new. I don't even want to get into the intake gaskets, because it's running like new. Only three thousand on the motor. I am just befuddled.:insane:

Last edited:

inthechateau

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Let me know if you find that bird. I have the same thing on my 96 and it does indeed drive you batty.

Thanks birdman, that was right on time!

OP
OP
Yukon96

Yukon96

Reaction score
Well, I am currently on my second new tension pulley, (of which I've confirmed the noise is coming from), from Auto Zone, inthechateau. Still there, though not as bad. I'm thinking of trying a different brand. I will keep ya informed.

laredo1307

Reaction score
I was chasing the same problem for a while. Ended up being my power steering pulley going out.

OP
OP
Yukon96

Yukon96

Reaction score
That's what I'm afraid of at this point, laredo. I so don't even want to mess with that either!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Yukon96

Yukon96

Reaction score
Well, thanks laredo! I decided to grow some balls and mess with the dreaded power steer pump pulley. It appeared the pulley was pressed in about an eighth inch too far, so I went to Autozone and borrowed a pulley install/remove kit. Pulled it out flush with the pump shaft, and now she purrs like a kitten again. This seems to be a fairly common problem that not many people know about. I hope this fiasco I just went through makes it easier for some others in the future. Thanks to everyone who had suggestions here. :gay:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz