Bilstein shocks, end links, sway bars = awesome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jmil1974

Reaction score
So installed the Bilstein HD 4600 shocks and Spohn front end links and Hellwig rear end links and as expected, major upgrade. No more multiple bounces on most bumps and dips. Massive increase in control without any discernible hit to comfort. The end links cut some noticeable body roll too. Can't wait to get my Nolathane bars in (the big ones). I KNOW what a difference those make - did them on my 95 Burb and 98 Camaro - and I do it to almost every car we buy now, along with the Bilsteins. Makes the vehicle much more enjoyable to drive and more comfortable and comfortING for passengers. Can't recommend this combo enough. Would have been a much more cost effective option than the air ride and magneride and better for most IMHO. If you're going to a non-air setup, you will love the Bilsteins, especially if you upgrade the sways too.

Last edited:

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your write-up. Other folks on this Forum will benefit from your experience.

I have not heard of Nolathane sway bars, but they look like a decent lower cost option for aftermarket sway bars.

OP
OP
J

jmil1974

Reaction score
There is something out there besides the best.......Hellwig?
I looked at them, quite a lot. At the end of the day, I couldn't justify damn near double the cost as the Nolathane and they are essentially apples to apples: same size solid bars. With sway bars I learned to get the biggest, stiffest bar stock available. It was Hellwig vs Nolathane and the price difference is ~$300, even figuring in buying beefy end links that Hellwig comes with. That's ~$300 that almost paid for my Bilsteins...no brainer. I am not brand loyal to a fault, I go with what works - I actually used the Hellwigs on my 95 Burb, Strano on my 98 Z28, and Hotchkis on my gen 1 CTS-V.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I looked at them, quite a lot. At the end of the day, I couldn't justify damn near double the cost as the Nolathane and they are essentially apples to apples: same size solid bars. With sway bars I learned to get the biggest, stiffest bar stock available. It was Hellwig vs Nolathane and the price difference is ~$300, even figuring in buying beefy end links that Hellwig comes with. That's ~$300 that almost paid for my Bilsteins...no brainer. I am not brand loyal to a fault, I go with what works - I actually used the Hellwigs on my 95 Burb, Strano on my 98 Z28, and Hotchkis on my gen 1 CTS-V.
I of course actually agree with you. At the time I bought the Hellwigs I checked and knew I did not want the hollow bars out there and I did not know about the Nolathane bars, if they were even around then. Neither here nor there, whatever fits a budget and works for anyone, I am all for it. I like what works too. As I was doing my thread about my build, I did not look at cost, I looked at quality and 95% of everything I have on my rig is Genuine GM and AC Delco but I do know that there are other great quality manufacturers out there. Good luck with your bars because I know I love mine.

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Did you do the Strano drop springs on the fbody? I currently have eibach proline with koni adjustables on my 02. I hate how "soft" the rear is and it hitting bump stops

OP
OP
J

jmil1974

Reaction score
Did you do the Strano drop springs on the fbody? I currently have eibach proline with koni adjustables on my 02. I hate how "soft" the rear is and it hitting bump stops
No, mine were stock height. You may check with Sam and compare spring rates and see if there is a benefit to switch. IIRC the proline are pretty low and you may just have to live with occasionally kissing the stops. I'd try adjusting those rear Konis first, particularly the compression side. Maybe try 2 clicks more on the compression and 1 click on the rebound and see.

OP
OP
J

jmil1974

Reaction score
Ok, after multiple SNAFUs - one UPS' fault, the other the manufacturer's - I got my sway bars in today and installed this evening. It's this kit here: https://www.nolathane.com/collections/all/products/rev013-0030-sway-bar-vehicle-kit I got the Spohn SEL-19-416 front and HELLWIG 7961 rear links because the OEMs are weak and were shot. The front bar is the largest you can get on these trucks - 38mm/1.5" solid - same as the Hellwig. The rear is 33mm/1.29" solid, 1mm larger than the Hellwig. The Hellwig front reuses stock end links, rear includes their rear links. I am confident that with the Spohn front links and the marginally thicker rear bar, I have the best setup available for these trucks. No downing Hellwig, it's clearly an awesome product but I saved ~$150 and still got stout front links and ever so slightly thicker rear bar. Even knowing what to expect (this is my fifth vehicle to upgrade sway bars), the improvement is DRAMATIC. Holy SHIT this thing turns and stays glass table flat. I've only done surface roads, no sweeping highway flyovers or U-turn exits...that will come. Even so, this is THE setup for these trucks IMHO. I've been left impressed with several vehicles with the magnaride shocks but I will take these all day long...especially if/when the time comes to replace them. Regardless, every car, truck and SUV should have monster anti-roll bars if you actually enjoy driving. The amount of confidence and comfort for both driver and passengers is noticeably improved over factory and it's 95% as cushy as stock just driving around. Even turning in the driveway is improved, it's that dramatic of an improvement with almost no downside. Supply chain ******** is still a thing and this is $1200 in parts but were I buying this truck new, I'd happily pay double that for this as a factory option. With this and the Hawk LTS brake pads, she is ready for 20s (has the 17s now) and a power upgrade. Absolutely transformed this truck from a comfy but wallowy pig to responsive, flat turning, great handling vehicle that to most people is still factory comfortable. It really has no business driving this well, but it does. Highly recommend Bilstein shocks and the biggest solid sway bars you can find!!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Is the rear bar adjustable, like my Hellwig set up? I have mine adjusted to the middle setting and it is quite great and wondering what the stiffest setting would be like.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick