bilstein 5100 with Stock tires and suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam OJ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I'm new here.

I just bought a 2001 Tahoe to replace my lifted Jeep commander. We are on our 3rd suburban, so I'm familiar with the platform, but I have never lifted any of them.

The shocks on my Tahoe (LT autoride, ~92k miles) are shot. Real rough ride. Of course, I didn't notice in the test drive, it only shows up on real rough potholed or heavily patched roads.

Anyway, I want to swap out the shocks for some Bilstein 5100's based on the recommendations heard here. I am going to do keys and spacers and bigger tires soon, just not yet. I have to take one mod at a time. So can put the appropriately sized 5100's on there without also lifting it? Or does the lower ride height cause problems with the shocks?

Thanks, looking forward to the journey of getting this thing a little taller!

---------- Post added at 11:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 PM ----------

nice first post - In the wrong forum...

Sorry guys, Moved it over there...

Mods, feel free to delete this thread.

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first thing needed to know , is how much lift.....? if it is the two-three inch spacers, you CAN be ok with the longer shock provided you dont cycle the suspension any more than daily driving......you really should install the keys at the same time..... a few miles with a bad shock wont kill you.... but a few mile with a long shock may kill it .... typically the rear dosnt see much change... you shoiuld be fine running the new shock, until the 1" or so spacer goes in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smokin Denali

Latest posts