Bilstein 5100 Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
I everyone. I thought I would write up a quick review of my experience so far after upgrading all four shocks to the Bilstein 5100's. I had a shop do this for me as I am not mechanically inclined. If I were just replacing the rear shocks, I might have attempted on my own however I did not want to deal with installing the springs on the fronts.

I am the original owner of a 2008 (purchased in Aug. 2007) SLT Yukon, with 17" wheels. I only had about 115,000 miles on the truck at this time as it was the 3rd car for a handful of years. I have been driving on more forest service and BLM-type roads the past few years for moose and elk hunts and wanted/needed to upgrade the suspension. Other than a handful of dirt trips per year, the other 95% of driving is about 70% highway and high mountain passes in Colorado, and 30% suburban driving.

After as much research as I could put my hands on, I decided to go with the 5100's. I was nervous as I did not need to go super stiff and still wanted good compliance on paved roads. After about 8,000 miles of driving, I can honestly say I am very happy with the results. I should say I raised the front end to the 2nd or 3rd notch and kept the original springs.

I can barely tell any difference on paved roads. They are not "too" stiff but have noticed a little less body roll. I always thought there was a little too much of this with the stock suspension. Since the weather is finally starting to cooperate, I have not been off-road if any so far, however, I just did a 300-mile tow with my new trailer and raft (about 1200 lbs. total) with about 10 miles of smooth'ish dirt roads. I am extremely pleased with the feel of the Yukon and thought the shocks did their job.

The only other real-world test I can think of is going over speed bumps. We have a few at our local rec centers and I can definitely tell the difference going over these. Much, much smoother.

Let me know if you have any questions but I can say for someone that hates spending money, I am very pleased with this "investment".

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
+1 for Bilstein 5100s, makes the suspension feel very strong.

When I first got my Tahoe I would bottom out pretty on this section of road that has a bit of a hump followed by a dip, and it sounded like my Tahoe was breaking. It did have a lowering kit installed in the rear, since removed and replaced with Moog HD springs.

With the 5100's I feel like I can take on anything as long as I can hold onto the steering wheel still.

OP
OP
SunnyInCo

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
I had 5100s on my Armada, and they are currently on the rear of my Yukon.

Where did you get yours?
Because I did not want to do the installation myself, I found a local 4x4 shop that specialized in suspensions, jeeps, etc.

Charlie207

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Because I did not want to do the installation myself, I found a local 4x4 shop that specialized in suspensions, jeeps, etc.

You ordered through them? I'm searching for some 5100s because I can't help myself, and the lowest price I've seen so far has been on Amazon.

OP
OP
SunnyInCo

SunnyInCo

Reaction score
You ordered through them? I'm searching for some 5100s because I can't help myself, and the lowest price I've seen so far has been on Amazon.
Yes, I had them order through their supplier. I figured I could have saved a few bucks but then if there was an issue with a part, I did not want to deal with being the middle man.

301Bobbo

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
5100s 24-3177474 have been BOd for a while but are now ordered for my '21 RWD. The IRS coil over damper suspension is quite problematic to solve the 3" sag when towing the camper. No sumo springs, bump stop, or air bags are made for this or newer model years. WDH can only take out 1" so I'm hoping these shocks can be adjusted up a bit to take out some of the sag when 630# is put on the ball.

jthoske

Reaction score
I’ve got 5100s all the way around on my 2018 Silverado LT Z71. The oem Ranchos were absolute trash. They ride a bit firmer but so much more well controlled- my factory front struts at 40k were completely shot, my frontend would bounce up and down on bumps. I did tow a 7500’ travel trailer for probably 10-15k of those miles.

Fronts are set to the highest lift setting (+1.85”) and it looks exactly how I wanted.

IMG_1134.jpeg