Bike rack options for factory roof rack? (2002 z71)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ialsofkdyourdad

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey just curious what has worked well for other people to put bikes on the roof of the Tahoe. I own a few mountain bikes and bmx bikes and it would be easier to take them camping if i could put them up on the roof

LEDFoot

Reaction score
I have been a huge fan of rockymounts bike racks for a long time, both their roof-mounted and their hitch mounted options. I used their tie-rod roof mounted carrier on my car, and have the split-rail carrier for the hitch on the suburban.

Just a heads up: If you regularly park in the garage, or use drive-throughs you might want to have something that reminds you that you have bikes up there.
For example, I used to use one of those clip-on garage door openers rather than the built-in one and whenever I put my bike up on the roof I would take it off the visor and throw it into the glove box. That way I wouldn't just come home, mindlessly push the button and smash my bike against the garage.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im only 5'6 ish so im on the shorter side and hate trying to put anything on an suv roof rack. so not trying to be a dick but are you 7 feet tall or do you plan to bring a ladder too. i just dont see how one would manage to get a bike up there

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im only 5'6 ish so im on the shorter side and hate trying to put anything on an suv roof rack. so not trying to be a dick but are you 7 feet tall or do you plan to bring a ladder too. i just dont see how one would manage to get a bike up there
If you have barn doors, it's pretty easy. If you have a hatch, then you will need side rails at a minimum; you can also stand on the wheels, or even stand in the door openings.

LEDFoot

Reaction score

Putting it on a hitch mounted platform is far easier, even for 6'5'' me, but since the OP is mentioning going camping, I am assuming he's towing a trailer of some sort making it inconvenient to use a hitch mounted bike rack.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have barn doors, it's pretty easy. If you have a hatch, then you will need side rails at a minimum; you can also stand on the wheels, or even stand in the door openings.
side rails are generally barely useful for anything more than peeking over the roof at best for someone my height. Unless the op has aftermarket rims and tires that wont be much use as the tire sits well within the wheel well. as far as the door openings they are generally level if not inset farther than the roof so lifting a bike above your head to get it strapped down sounds like a recipe to have a bike land on your face.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Putting it on a hitch mounted platform is far easier, even for 6'5'' me, but since the OP is mentioning going camping, I am assuming he's towing a trailer of some sort making it inconvenient to use a hitch mounted bike rack.
since i used to work in the business of recreational vehicles and trailers most trailers can hold 1 or 2 bikes on a mount on the trailers rear bumper. there's also a front tongue mount for bikes ive seen used. lastly if its a smaller trailer i have no idea where they got it but ive seen a double hitch receiver so you can also mount a bike rack and a slide in hitch.

S33k3r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
side rails are generally barely useful for anything more than peeking over the roof at best for someone my height. Unless the op has aftermarket rims and tires that wont be much use as the tire sits well within the wheel well. as far as the door openings they are generally level if not inset farther than the roof so lifting a bike above your head to get it strapped down sounds like a recipe to have a bike land on your face.
D'Oh! Hadn't considered lifting the bike up there. I'll shut up now.

LEDFoot

Reaction score
since i used to work in the business of recreational vehicles and trailers most trailers can hold 1 or 2 bikes on a mount on the trailers rear bumper. there's also a front tongue mount for bikes ive seen used. lastly if its a smaller trailer i have no idea where they got it but ive seen a double hitch receiver so you can also mount a bike rack and a slide in hitch.
Something like this? https://www.etrailer.com/Hitch-Adapters/Malone/MPG544.html

Could work depending on the trailer and the bike rack.

LEDFoot

Reaction score
At least once it's up there, few people will consider stealing it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tom McCormick