Bet you added the "wrong oil" to your LM2

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

altona

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty sure I did over the summer when it was a quart low. Mobil 1 Ow-20 even said Dexos near the bottom and licensed by GM.

Why was it wrong?

It is not specifically designed for diesel engines (Dexos D). All the containers I looked at in Advance Auto and Autozone today had a starburst near the bottom saying "for gasoline engines". Both store managers were stumped. Never stocked anything else, will look into it. So, i called Mobil (1800.ASKMOBIL) and was giving the answer.

Correct oil needed.

MOBIL 1 ESPX2 0W-20

Neither store ever carried it and Amazon was out of stock. Ebay had some. So, chances are prettty good many have added or worse changed with the wrong oil.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, this oil is greenish looking and can be had at specialty places.
I got mine at Summit Racing…
Currently I’m using it right now. As future reference and lesson if it doesn’t say Dexos D on the bottle, do not add it. You will have a hard time finding this in any generic auto store or a big box store. Do yourself a favor and order a pile of AC Delco oil off of rock auto.
it’s as good as any, the price is right, and get enough to do at least one future oil change plus an extra quart for any usage situation.

oh, and I’ve changed mine three times, and no I’ve never used the wrong oil…l.l

StephenPT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does using a non approved oil with good results mean?
Over on www.duramaxforum.com there's more info about the LM2/LZ0 than you'll find on this forum. There have been various owners that have been using Amsoil 0W-20 and sending in samples for analysis to Blackstone Labs - the reports are all coming back with positive results. Though it's not "DEXOS-D certified" it's formulated for diesel engines and the correct weight per GM's recommendation. I wouldn't hesitate to use it, however the going price for the AC Delco DEXOS-D is too hard to pass up right now.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you were flying in a 737 would you be ok with the airlines using
“unapproved” oil in your plane’s engines.?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^^^^@Stbentoak- Reality is every carrier utilizes what they want, and their Maintenence Program specifies. So it may not be what the "Factory" Maint manual specifies. Same applies with greases.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@exp500 The FAA would shut them down if they couldn't prove at every scheduled maintenance that they were using anything other than fluids that were certified and tested as acceptable by the OEM. There could be different manufacturers, but every fluid has to meet and be tested to GE’s or Pratt-Whitney written certification standard. I can promise you, they don’t substitute oils or greases that happen to be “The same weight”.
A lawyer would sniff that out in a minute…. that’s the first thing they check with any malfunctions is explicit maintenance records.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I see a lot of difference in reliability/regulatory requirements between a vehicle that flies through the air vs one that (normally) stays on terra firma.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Stbentoak - Just to Clarify. I never stated "unapproved". There are several "approved" but Maint program specifies which to use. I've seen it many times in an unrouted or emergency layover where local line Maintenence did not stock that item. Only to wait for a truck or another plane to deliver. The Entire Maint program has its own manual which is FAA Approved per each carrier. Sorry for the miscommunication.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons