Best Year Tahoe/Yukon?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The barn doors were only available in the 2000 nbs model, right?

Also, how can i detect the autoride suspension?

I'm still waiting to unload my current rig before i jump in, i've been scouting CL for a little while and am seeing a few 05's on sale in my range.

Barn doors available on 2001 too.

Cerberus66

Reaction score
NBS has a more organic body style, The 2007+ I really dont like much, they have a drive in movie theater flatness to them.

I had a 2005 SUB Z71 I put 12% on top of the 125 k it had on it when i bought it in 2006, yup total 250K when I traded it in.

My NTM 2003 Denali has the 6.0l and is extremely over powered IMHO. I got rid of my jag XKR to get in to the 2003. HOLY CARP my Denali seems extremely powerful.

OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here's my only concern, i've been trying to dig up more info by searching here and youtube and google, but how well does the NBS Tahoe perform off road? I've see a few videos of guys driving in the snow and sand but nothing aggressive. Is that because these trucks can only handle light to moderate off roading or that noone has really tried to do it?

thanks

04SS99Denali

Full Access Member
Reaction score
03-06 if your looking NBS. in 03 they had some good changes to the interior and quiet a few more options available. also better seats lol

dragginwagon406

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One difference we noticed between the 2001 and 2004 was the 2004 had the quick mounting points for the child car seats in the 2004. It makes removing the car seat to tumble and slide the rear seat much easier.

OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
One difference we noticed between the 2001 and 2004 was the 2004 had the quick mounting points for the child car seats in the 2004. It makes removing the car seat to tumble and slide the rear seat much easier.

My 03 has that

Thanks for point this out! I will actually need that.

also, I FINALLY SOLD MY TRUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :High 5:

So now i got money to play with. If you guys know anyone looking to sell let me know. I have about $5k to play with now but will try to save some more if i dont find anything soon.

Forgot to also mention, shopping around on Craigslist and im really sketchy on what i'm finding. Only because in NJ we had superstorm Sandy and not sure how to tell if these trucks were flooded. One guy said his tahoe had computer issues, i read that as flooded! LOL

Last edited:

DeepSeaFish

Reaction score
Also, how can i detect the autoride suspension?

Quite easy to detect actually. About 7-10 seconds after your crank the vehicle, you will hear a 'grinding like' sound coming from the left rear of the truck. This is the autoride compressor inflating the rear shocks so as to level the vehicle. It will run for about 5 sec. unless there are 2 or more people in the truck with you. Will run as much as 15-20 sec in that case depending on how much weight is in the truck. Autoride is a nice feature as I have it, BUT it can get expensive to replace should an issue arise, especially if you have to replace shocks AND compressor! Being that you're in a northern climate and will probably be driving on salt treated roads in the winter, I'd refrain from getting autoride. All the transmission 'warnings' you're hearing on here hold true. Every one I looked at in the year + time I spent looking, the first thing I did was check the trans. dipstick and run a carfax looking for warranty and damage claims as well as maintenance history. I don't know if you're as picky as I am when it come to overall appearence, but the one thing I will say about the leather seats in these trucks, YES, they are very comfortable, but being that the leather is a softer material than other makes, keep conditioner on them about once a month or they WILL eventually start cracking and tearing. Every other one I looked at had a torn driver's seat and some had both front seats torn as a result of baking in the sun and lack of upkeep. Good luck in your search and keep us posted on any updates and finds. Welcome aboard.

OP
OP
E

El Padroni

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I also noticed that on some models it says "Autoride" underneath the LT badge. Not sure if that applies to all other models also. And i'm starting to see what you mean about the leather seats. Seems a few of them suffer from improper care and show signs of cracking and even tearing. This will be one tough search!

Z-56 Hoe

What do I do????
Reaction score
We have two NBS Tahoe's. a 2001 LT and a 2002 LT with barn doors ( wife's 02 has a throttle cable on throttle body !!!) the center console on the 2003-2006 is bigger but the storage compartment in the 2003-2006 is smaller. The buttons on the 2000-2002 Tahoe's seem to hold up better you can Take a dremel to the dash and fit a DD radio. The 2003-2006 have why more electricle parts. The 2000-2002 some have the ABS / Parking brake issues. I and my wife perfer thr 2001 and 2002 Tahoe's when talking about the GMT800's / NBS Tahoe's. we also have a 08 LTZ NNBS

Either way you will be very happy! We love ours. Repair / replacement parts won't kill you. Fuel Eco wise not to bad comfort wise the LT trim package (s) are quite nice. He'll we are now looking for a NBS surburban rather then a NNBS and Money is not the reason can go get a new one but we both perfer the NBS.

Something else to keep in mind is around 2003-2004 is when GM started having financial issues.

I wish you well. Oh do a compression check and a decompression check check the trans like already stated before you buy it take it to a shop or a dealer with a tech II or equal lent reader and see what codes it has thrown if any.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ihaveatahoetoo