Best place to buy extended warranty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Looking for the best place to buy a GM extended warranty. Dealers make money on the warranties is there any dealers that blows them out and make money on volume?

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you’re going to get an extended warranty, best to get a GM backed one that allows you to get work done at any dealer. Whatever you do, make sure you read all the fine print and understand what it does and does not cover.

Also, I would pay for it separately and not roll it into the purchase of the vehicle. That way if you end up getting rid of the vehicle before the warranty period is up, it’s easier to get a refund.

Personally, I’m not a big fan of extended warranties. I’d rather put aside a “fix it fund” than pay for a warranty I may or may not use.

SC2CO_TAHOE

Reaction score
My 2022 has been built and should be here in a couple of weeks. I’m also interested in this topic. Can the GM extended purchase plan be purchased from any dealership (any recommendations?) or only from the selling dealer? Also, must it be purchased at, or near, delivery or do I have until the regular warranty expires? Appreciate any feedback,

xycrazy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
CarMax is selling MaxCare. You can take the car to any dealership. My understanding is that MaxCare is available for everyone. Even those who not buying with them

falmen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do not buy MaxCare. I purchased it from Carmax on I vehicle I bought from them and it was a nightmare to get them to pay out on a bad transmission after only 500 miles after purchased. It took over 3 months to get the repair approved only after I threaten a lawsuit.

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We bought an 84 month extended warranty from EG Assurance at the dealership we bought our Yukon from. It’s low mileage (60k) but both my wife and I work from home so don’t rack up that many miles in a year normally.

Gregory M Bone

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
All car warranties outside the dealership are total rip offs. according to Consumer Reports.

They sell a bunch of policies, hardly ever pay claims, get sued, then go out of business.

Many times they will open up a "new company" under another name, and go right back at it.

There's big money to be made from this scam, as evidenced by all solicitation phone calls, and mailers sent.

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranties are an interesting topic, I purchased the "GM Extended Warranty" when I bought my Yukon, new in 2015. I don't usually bother with them either, but the salesman (who was actually a friend) pointed out it covers the electronics, which these cars have a LOT, and when I got to thinking about the cost of fixing a camera or some other obscure electronic issue in a few years (the extended warranty covered me for 7 years). The advice to pay cash for it (if you're going to buy it) is also my suggestion, you don't want to finance another 1000 (or whatever the warranty is now) and make payments on it. Include the cost as part of your down payment, though you're not actually doing that. It's like the cost of License/Reg, etc. Ya don't wanna be making interest payments on those.
My factory warranty covered the few issues I had with my truck, with the exception of the paint, (which failed at 3 years). I went round and round with that, but ultimately the dealer stepped up (very long post on this in another thread).
Recently, (November), my truck suffered a catastrophic electronic failure, (3 months after my "factory" 5 year warranty ended).
I was able to (using OnStar, another expense, but worth it imo) get the truck delivered to the dealer and through a very long series of events, have the problem(s) covered under my extended warranty. The warranty saved me about 5-7k worth of repairs. I am not capable of doing much to new cars, my last "project" car was a 93, which had next to nothing compared to these vehicles, so being able to diagnose/repair something is beyond me. If you're handy and capable (as many of the members are), it's really a judgement call.
I can say, my extended GM warranty, saved me a lot of money, on something that would have been a very expensive repair. I also posted a very lengthy saga about it here; https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...rn-off-rt-turn-signal-on.130813/#post-1632751Electrical & warranty

It's absolutely true, you may not ever need it and have a truck that has 0 problems for it's service life, or be able to diagnose and fix things on your own. But if you're like me, and the expense/peace of mind is worth it, I do recommend the GM Platinum plan and to avoid local or independent "warranties". Double check what is (and more importantly, what isn't) covered and decide for yourself if the investment is good or bad. There may also be a discount if you purchase it with the new vehicle from the dealer, they're hoping you'll never use it and they keep the money, but once again, if you do need it, what's that worth?

R32driver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Warranties are an interesting topic, I purchased the "GM Extended Warranty" when I bought my Yukon, new in 2015. I don't usually bother with them either, but the salesman (who was actually a friend) pointed out it covers the electronics, which these cars have a LOT, and when I got to thinking about the cost of fixing a camera or some other obscure electronic issue in a few years (the extended warranty covered me for 7 years). The advice to pay cash for it (if you're going to buy it) is also my suggestion, you don't want to finance another 1000 (or whatever the warranty is now) and make payments on it. Include the cost as part of your down payment, though you're not actually doing that. It's like the cost of License/Reg, etc. Ya don't wanna be making interest payments on those.
My factory warranty covered the few issues I had with my truck, with the exception of the paint, (which failed at 3 years). I went round and round with that, but ultimately the dealer stepped up (very long post on this in another thread).
Recently, (November), my truck suffered a catastrophic electronic failure, (3 months after my "factory" 5 year warranty ended).
I was able to (using OnStar, another expense, but worth it imo) get the truck delivered to the dealer and through a very long series of events, have the problem(s) covered under my extended warranty. The warranty saved me about 5-7k worth of repairs. I am not capable of doing much to new cars, my last "project" car was a 93, which had next to nothing compared to these vehicles, so being able to diagnose/repair something is beyond me. If you're handy and capable (as many of the members are), it's really a judgement call.
I can say, my extended GM warranty, saved me a lot of money, on something that would have been a very expensive repair. I also posted a very lengthy saga about it here; https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...rn-off-rt-turn-signal-on.130813/#post-1632751Electrical & warranty

It's absolutely true, you may not ever need it and have a truck that has 0 problems for it's service life, or be able to diagnose and fix things on your own. But if you're like me, and the expense/peace of mind is worth it, I do recommend the GM Platinum plan and to avoid local or independent "warranties". Double check what is (and more importantly, what isn't) covered and decide for yourself if the investment is good or bad. There may also be a discount if you purchase it with the new vehicle from the dealer, they're hoping you'll never use it and they keep the money, but once again, if you do need it, what's that worth?
Exactly. Only reason we bought ours was to cover all the complex electrical and tech this new rig has. If your tranny goes pretty much any tranny shop can fix it. But if your infotainment goes or your heated/cooled seats or moonroof stop working you’re pretty much going to the dealer and that’s it. I feel if you plan to keep one of these beyond the factory warranty you’d be out of your mind to not purchase an extended warranty

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
golavaman