High Beams won't turn off & Rt turn signal on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked through the threads, couldn't find this issue, figured I'd post and ask;
This morning I remote started my 2015 Yukon XL (as I do every Saturday morning for weekend errands) and when I came outside, noted the "remote start parking lights" weren't on as usual, but my High-Beams were. I got into the truck and put my key into the ignition and the right turn signal came on.
I thought perhaps the signal lever had been pushed up accidentally when I parked it Thursday afternoon and quickly realized it wasn't. I also noted the High-beam indicator was illuminated, (indicating the high beams were on). I clicked up and down, back and forth on the turn signal lever, (all of the controls for this are located on it). I couldn't get the high-beams off, I turned off my auto-headlights on switch and tried to turn on the fog lamps (which should cancel the high beam and come on) and that wouldn't respond.
I pulled the turn lever down for a "left" turn, and that stopped the right turn indicator blinking, but as soon as it went back to middle (neutral) the right blinker was on.
I shut it off and on again, same thing. I drove around the block and kept clicking the high-beams on and off, nothing.
After a few minutes, I shut the truck off and realized, even with it off and the doors locked, alarm set, the high-beams stayed on. Now we've got trouble- Not only was I worried about them melting the plastic headlight covers, they would kill the battery and blind my neighbors across the street.
After going through the fuse box(es) I found the "rt lt High Beam" fuse and pulled it, the high-beams were off, but the indicator remained on.
I called the dealer and made a service appointment for Monday morning, he said "Ok, that'll be 160 to diagnose, then that per hour plus the cost of the parts, just so you know", to which I responded, "No, I bought the extended warranty because it covers all of the electronics in this thing"... he said, "Oh, ok, I'll write it up as warranty and bill GM"... whatever.
So, my suspicion is some type of issue with the turn lever, I didn't have any previous issues, no hiccups or indication of an issue and had just had the truck in for a service and new battery 3 or 4 months ago.
Anyone else experience this or know what it may be?
I will find out Monday and am hoping this is not a glimpse of what is to come with this truck- I bought it new and it has 17000 miles on it, it's really only driven on weekends or for occasional work trips.
Thanks in advance for any insights

OP
OP
WTSHARK

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the same suspicion as you. Strange that the turn signal lever just all of a sudden does this with no previous problems.

Wow, a turn signal arm for $27.89, which has more switches, controls and contacts in it than the last three trucks I've owned. That thing does signals, wipers (front/back, mulitple speeds/settings), "rain sense on", window washer pumps (front & rear), hi/lo beams and all for 28 bucks... Wonder what the dealer will charge for it and I imagine getting the column apart to remove/replace it is no small feat. I am happy to have someone else.

OP
OP
WTSHARK

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This morning I went out to check on it, the truck is dead. Not even the slightest spark in it when I turn the key. I am hoping I'll be able to jump start it tomorrow morning to get it to the dealer, but there's a good chance I'll have to use my Onstar roadside assistance (which I've been paying for going on 6 years now and never used before), or my Auto Club membership to actually have it towed there if the battery has been destroyed by this.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You might want to measure the battery voltage and charge as necessary; this could very well be a battery cable problem. If you have a draw, at least disconnect the battery and charge it so it doesn't take it completely out.

OP
OP
WTSHARK

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to measure the battery voltage and charge as necessary; this could very well be a battery cable problem. If you have a draw, at least disconnect the battery and charge it so it doesn't take it completely out.
The battery was actually ok. I pulled the + Cable, hoping to prevent it being completely wiped out by whatever ghost in the machine was at work. I employed the use of my OnStar Roadside Assistance this morning (for the first time) and was able to request a tow truck and have it towed to the dealer, at 22.3 miles. The total time it took to set this up, using my GMC App on my phone took about 3 minutes, the tow truck showed up within 30 minutes after the request and the driver was happy to tow it to the dealership. All told, took me about an hour to deal with it this morning and I didn't have to take it to the dealer myself, it was literally having it delivered. It's nice when you pay 330+ a year for a service that does exactly what you need it to, when you need it. I called the dealer and told them I was using OnStar to deliver the truck and the dealer called about 30 minutes later to let me know it arrived. I have received several "Alerts" from my OnStar app, telling me the truck is need of service, (also to disregard if it is in for service as this will also cause these alerts). So, now we wait to see what the dealer says.
The tow driver reconnected the battery and jump started it, for a moment, the brights did not illuminate and it seemed like it may have 'reset', but within seconds, the hi-beam indicator popped on and the right turn signal started clicking. So, problem was still there but hopefully, the battery is ok, I just had the dealer replace the battery 2 months ago, so if it was bad, they were going to have to eat that- (once again, thankful for the extended warranty I purchased when I bought the truck in 2015).

OP
OP
WTSHARK

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
UPDATE:
MONDAY
The service tech, (who I'm not a fan of, could just be his personality) seems to almost be looking for ways to make this "my fault". He texted and said the BCM Unit was burned out. I asked why that happens, before he could answer, I googled it, finding several GM Service Bulletins addressing BCM Units and their failure(s). Causes included; poor battery connection(s), too great (or too little) resistance, a short, etc. He said it was changed and "covered", which I knew after we had another conversation about the extended warranty. He said once the BCM was changed, they would chase down the hi-beam problem.

TUESDAY
He called, reiterating the BCM replacement was covered and said, "your high beams have a short and you put in an aftermarket alarm, which has caused all this". It was almost accusatory, maybe I'm being too sensitive, but I told him "No I didn't, that is the factory alarm, upgraded by you (dealer) and I paid 1000 bucks for it when I bought the truck". He said, we couldn't find it in our records, so it's the cause of this and that's not covered, so.....
I told him again, I paid you for it and it was part of my purchase, take a look at my sales contract and you'll see where I paid you for the alarm tech to upgrade the "factory" system. He said he would check and call their alarm guy. He then said, "Your hi-beams weren't on, it was just the indicator", I told him (again), it wasn't just the indicator, I pulled the fuse for the hi-beams, we've been over this several times. He asked me, "so the hi-beams were on?", and I said yes, the fuse is sitting in the fuse box in one of the empty fuse housings, the mechanic should see that. He said he would double check and let the mechanic know. I reiterated my concerns about this and asked he double check the hi-beams and right turn signal were on, I also asked he check the Bluetooth mic as it seems to fail sporadically. He said he would and would let me know what he found out. The alarm chip is molded into the dash with green blinking light and its use is part of my key fob. When it was upgraded, the "kid" came out a few days after buying the truck and did something to the chip to activate the theft control system.
His tone was what bugged me, almost a "gotcha" and the fact they didn't recognize their own work, assuming the lights were fine without checking the fuse irritated me. It's been three days and I was told "the truck will be ready tomorrow morning" last night around 4. It's now noon and nothing, which leads me to believe whatever this is, it is significant and they're now chasing wire, looking for some kind of critical fault in the miles of wires in these cars.
I know I'm being long-winded- but the overall experience has been disconcerting, so I'll post updates or hopefully, some type of resolution. I have considered calling the Service Manager, who is the same one who really stepped up to help me when I had paint issues last year. I wrote a letter, commending him on his customer service and perhaps getting him involved will make this go a bit easier.

OP
OP
WTSHARK

WTSHARK

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Final Update;
WEDNESDAY: (Day 3)
I hadn't heard from anyone and by around noon, I texted asking for updates. Steven (same guy previously mentioned) said; "oh, he's just about done and it will probably be done this afternoon, but give me an hour because he's at lunch". I said fine, I couldn't come down today anyway and please make sure the problems are solved and I would pick it up the following morning (Thu).

THURSDAY (Day 4)
Nothing, I waited until around 11 and called this time, I wound up speaking to another gent, who was the asst. parts manager. I explained what had been happening and was concerned with the tone of voice and lack of clear communication. He said the other guy "was newer" and was still training, and didn't recognize the dealer alarms install. He said he would take over and make sure this was taken care of. He went through the notes and explained they had chased down the short through the BCM and replaced all of the issues, including updating/replacing the alarm system and had found a service bulletin regarding the bluetooth microphone and problems with them, so he was ordering a new one with an updated resistor/filter which should correct that issue. He said it would probably be done by Friday afternoon or Sat and if that was ok with me. I explained my concerns and said fine.

FRIDAY (Day 5)
I received a text from from Steven, reiterating what Jeff had said the day before, I texted thank you, Jeff had informed me the previous day. Around 2 PM, I got a text (from Steven again) saying; "Ok, your truck is done and your total is 446.00, which includes your deductible. I was taken aback by this and said; What's the charge for, all of this is covered under the GM Platinum Protection Plan. Steven texted "they declined it, so I gave you all the discounts I could". I decided to call, texting is not my forte and it's not the best way to communicate. I called and Steven answered the phone, I asked for Jeff and he said "who's calling?" I told him my name and he hesitated, "uhhh, can I tell him what this is regarding?", I said no thanks, I'll discuss that with him, or Walt the actual Service Manager, he put me on hold and after 30 seconds picked up "Hello?", I thought it was Jeff and asked Jeff? He said "no, this is Steven, how can I help you". I said I was waiting for Jeff and he got surly; "He's busy, I'm the one handling your ticket, how can I help you?", I got a bit irritated and said "are you Jeff?" he said no. I asked he call me as soon as available.
Steve texted me several times in the meantime; I saved all the paperwork so you can see where they (GMPP) denied it, and I responded with, A known service issue that was previously pointed out, we have a problem, I'll be happy to discuss it with Jeff or Walt (Service Department Manager). Steve said "ok".

About an hour later Jeff called and apologized about being in a meeting, I asked if Steven had explained why I was asking for him and he said yes. He went onto explain when they submitted the Bluetooth microphone for repairs, GMPP denied it, he appealed it and they denied it again. He also said, where he screwed up was assuming it was a 10 dollar part (as if there is one on these cars) and it would be no problem under the extended warranty. He said he screwed up by never calling to tell me the extended warranty wouldn't cover this, (explaining GM can get nasty about these things just like an insurance company declining coverage for random things) and said they can essentially insist GM covers this, (much in the same way they'd helped with my paint failure a couple of years ago) and cover something under 500, essentially forcing GM to cover it. He said he'd exercised that option for this and all he asked is I pay my deductible (I thought my plan didn't require one, new plans, purchased on new vehicles today don't, but mine, from 2015 does) and I said I could live with that. He went on to explain the issues with the alarm and they'd replaced the entire alarm system, upgrading it to the 2021 model, like one that comes on the new cars. I said I would pick it up Sat morning and he said he'd be there.

SATURDAY:
I went down to the dealer and into the cashier, knowing I'd have to pay before I could pick up the truck. She pulled my file and multiple pages flipped open and stuck to the top one was a piece of black expanded foam. She said she didn't know why that was there, but said Jeff would explain it. I looked at it and surmised it was the piece of foam installed into the headliner to press the bluetooth tight against the opening. The truck came up and Jeff (who was on a phone call) said he'd be right with me.
We talked and he explained the issue, the factory/dealer alarm had been backfeeding the BCM, about 3-4 volts. This caused cascading problems and subsequent failures of the BCM, Headlight Control (Hi-beams, specifically) and turn indicators. They replaced the turn signal arm (just to be safe), the BCM and upgraded the alarm.
The Bluetooth in 2016 and previous years are pressed against the speaker port (cage) by foam pads, they are only about 2" by 3" and don't adequately press the speaker against the port after a bump or shift (or whatever). This causes the slightest space and movement (air volume) which can effectively "deafen" the speaker. It's the right volume or air space and frequency of air movement which basically prevents the speaker from working. The attached pad is cracked and depressed in the center. Collapsing after hot/cold cycles over the last 6 years.
He said the newer trucks have a pad that is 6" by 8" and has a channel for the wires and is much better suited. So, GM figured out they need better padding. All told I thanked him for his help and came out to the truck reading the paperwork, (including the mechanic's system inspection, showing all ok).
I checked the alarm, remote start, all worked great. Hopped in and fixed my seat (they never get it right) and began putting in all my radio presets (which of course were cleared out by the electrical problems/work) and checked the turn signals, (good) and the Hi-beams.... Nope. Nothing. The indicator came on, but no lights do. I got out and Jeff was helping another customer and told him I had no hi-beams. He said he'd be right over. I remembered the previous conversation with Steve where he told me the hi-beams weren't on, only the indicator was (like I don't know my hi-beams are on) and I reiterated to him to check the fuse, so I opened my hood and the fuse box and sure enough, there was the fuse, exactly where I left it.
Jeff came out and double checked no hi-beams and I said how did it pass the "inspection" when the hi-beams still weren't working. He said, well, they wouldn't have checked ok if they weren't. I am willing to give the mechanic the benefit of the doubt and say he checked the hi-beams by the indicator (without actually checking the lights were on or not) or he just clicks "ok" on every box to get it done, forms and complacency can getcha every time.
He looked at the fuse and put it back into the slot and the lights came on no problem, he said he would be having a conversation with Steve and the mechanic to make sure things like this aren't overlooked.
All told, it was a weeklong process, with a 5 day dealership visit and a 260.00 bill. Had I not had the extended warranty, it would've cost me thousands in parts & Labor and although the alarm system was the culprit, I doubt it would have been covered, but perhaps the dealer would have said, "this is on us", but who knows.

For all of you who read this epic saga- hope it was worthwhile and thanks for reading- 20211204_110012.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts