Best octane fuel for fuel eceonomy? (5.3L only)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm envious of your meticulous record keeping.

I see that Marathon and Shell have the lowest CPM with $ 0.16 and have an average ethanol content of 73% and 78%. That's interesting. Another thing is that your MPG is much lower than what I normally get, city 16-18 and highway 19-23. I drive conservatively and don't let the Hoe idle any more than necessary. I will try E-85 one of these days to get a comparison.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm envious of your meticulous record keeping.

I see that Marathon and Shell have the lowest CPM with $ 0.16 and have an average ethanol content of 73% and 78%. That's interesting. Another thing is that your MPG is much lower than what I normally get, city 16-18 and highway 19-23. I drive conservatively and don't let the Hoe idle any more than necessary. I will try E-85 one of these days to get a comparison.

Marathon and Shell were one time fill ups each. The Shell stop was basically all highway, an airport run to help out some stranded travelers one Christmas.

Jake, my rig is an XL 4x4 with 3.42 gears and all-terrain tires. The motor is pre-VVT which is good for a solid mpg, the motor was tuned by BlackBear and AFM is turned off. The best highway mpg this truck has ever seen was 19.1 MPG and climbing on E25 (18 gallons E15 and 8 gallons E85) on an airport run after about two hours. Unfortunately, she was nowhere near that on the way back! This thing never leaves the driveway weighing less than 6300 pounds.

OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well gentlemen I have enjoyed reading this thread and its responses, and I hope it continues. While a few of you dispute any changes to fuel economy when increasing octane, most people who have actually done it report an increase. To me 1-2mpg consistent improvement is fantastic.

I have averaged 13.2 mpg (mixed highway/city) over the past 1000mi. My truck has 22" aftermarket wheels (tires at 38psi) and a Range AFM module but is otherwise bone stock. For the next 1000mi I will run only 93-octane and report back. Then finally I will try 89-octane.

As stated before, I am doing this more for increased range rather than the increased fuel economy itself. The cost is irrelevant to me.

Last edited:

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
The problem I have is around me, if I get 87 octane, it’s 10% ethanol, 89 octane is 15% ethanol. I have to go to 91 octane to get to non-ethanol or go to E85 and get anywhere from 55% to 80% ethanol. Hard to get a straight comparison for just octane without ethanol content coming into play.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To be able to drive a full size suv with those mpg numbers is really a great benefit of hybrid ownership. If you were to amortize the per mile replacement cost of new OEM back seat batteries every 7 to 10 years how would that affect your per mile numbers? Also, I know you have one gas engine but how many electric motors? Add the replacement cost of the electric motors also to your amortization. Im not hacking but the "complexity/weight/maintanance cost's" that you endure to get those "best case scenario" numbers isnt without the financial burden of owning/maintaining a hybrid? And the resale of all hybrids tanks after the first owner.

to break it down quickly it saves $2,500 per 14,000 miles driven Compared to the typical MPG of a 6.0L (10/13mpg) engine in a 1500hd/2500 series

so the average battery last 140,000 miles

10*2,500 = $25,000 saved for each battery on gas

so the battery will pay for it self in fuel savings at 28-30,000 miles of highway use. 36-38k in city use

these are built pretty solid it uses a $10,000 BUS transmission after all(the early production) they are rated for 300,000+ miles of use.. and they run pretty cool 150F -175 (in the summer) the engine normally is barely spinning at 1000-1500rpm is typical

each unit cost GM $90,000 to build so they took a pretty steep loss on each of them... most of the losses was from the design revision basically did a mid year refresh to the front and rear of it.
(some design elements carried over to k2xx..)
it has enhanced AFM (you can accelerate/decelerate in v4 mode), Enhanced DFCO and VVT..Variable-displacement oil pump, ( even though GM claimed it was first introduced in the corvette in 2014 C7) that is how you are able to squeeze every mile out of it..

Last edited:

R Black

Reaction score
Octane and the amount of energy in the fuel are two different things in my opinion. If I am not mistaken, Octane indicates how resistant the fuel is to premature detonation due to compression which is why the higher the Octane is, the less pinging you get. This is why higher compression motors, like the 6.2, need higher octane fuel. There is a small correlation between octane an mpg, but if you put 93 octane in a motor designed to run 87 octane, you won’t see a big change in mpg’s.

Typically, you will get better mileage with a furl that has less alcohol, but more power with more alcohol.

@swathdiver has a thread where he discusses this at length.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/useless-information.97483/page-85#post-1456757

I would concur. The less alcohol the better the mpg. I believe the 'no greater than 15%' rule still applies to the Gasoline Norm Aspirtd. 5.3 for 2020 ( a long standing 'rule') However I think I do remember that the Owners manual contains a recomm. for 'Top Tier' gasoline only, if memory serves, and it has it's own little logo thinghee to make it thuper speshal and give it brand recognition. The octane recomm., for the 5.3, I believe is 87 or higher as noted by another member.

I think you may have made a typo there though. getting better mileage from a gallon of fuel also means you are getting more power from that gallon of fuel.

brichter

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
these are built pretty solid it uses a $10,000 BUS transmission after all(the early production) they are rated for 300,000+ miles of use.. and they run pretty cool 150F -175 (in the summer) the engine normally is barely spinning at 1000-1500rpm is typical

Bus transmission? What trans is that?

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just filled up with 21 gallons of 91-E0 at 2.899/Gal. I will need to get an average of 17.5 MPG in order to break even on the difference in cost over 87-E15.

I am averaging 13.4 currently on 87-E15 with a mix of city and highway driving.

I am skeptical that I will see that increase in MPG but we will see.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Octane and the amount of energy in the fuel are two different things in my opinion. If I am not mistaken, Octane indicates how resistant the fuel is to premature detonation due to compression which is why the higher the Octane is, the less pinging you get. This is why higher compression motors, like the 6.2, need higher octane fuel. There is a small correlation between octane an mpg, but if you put 93 octane in a motor designed to run 87 octane, you won’t see a big change in mpg’s.

Typically, you will get better mileage with a furl that has less alcohol, but more power with more alcohol.

@swathdiver has a thread where he discusses this at length.
https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/threads/useless-information.97483/page-85#post-1456757

Octane is about detonation and pre-ignition prevention, not about energy per gallon.

Example: Methonal has about half the BTUs(energy) per gallon of Gasoline. Methanol naturally has a very high octane rating even though it has half the energy.