Best octane fuel for fuel eceonomy? (5.3L only)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

curtis ronci

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just recently getting rid of a V-10 f-250 I love the mpg on my 5.3.
Having said that I do find on any car or truck the best way to get or to regain good mileage is to look at yourself.
Driving style for one is important and even more so how are you about maintenance?
Plugs,coils,wires,tire pressure,clean filters,brakes and even extra junk in the car can kill mpg

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are there areas that still actually put a sniffer up the tailpipe?

Around here, any OBD2 vehicle ('96+) just gets plugged in to the OBD port and the ECU readiness monitors are read. Vehicles older than OBD2 are emissions exempt, just a visual for required equipment (cats, smog pump, etc.)
I live in NorCal - and they check every damn thing - crazy strict!

OP
OP
cfmistry

cfmistry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
does the cost difference even out to the mpg difference? it may get better mpg, but how is the cost difference? which is actually cheaper to run?

No place on this earth would switching to 93-octane (a factory tune) make sense from a financial standpoint. In general it costs 40% more than regular 87-octane, and you would be lucky to get 10% improved MPG. I was getting about 5%.

But that was not the point. I knew it was not cost-effective, but I wanted any increased range I could get. Less trips to the gas station = convenience = worth something. I may have gotten a little more range, but I'm not convinced.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Just recently getting rid of a V-10 f-250 I love the mpg on my 5.3.
Having said that I do find on any car or truck the best way to get or to regain good mileage is to look at yourself.
Driving style for one is important and even more so how are you about maintenance?
Plugs,coils,wires,tire pressure,clean filters,brakes and even extra junk in the car can kill mpg
This is true.
clicking off the cruise and allowing a long slowdown roll on off ramps and up to stop signs will gain back some mpg.

91RS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder which octane is better for emissions/smog testing?

Whatever the stock required octane is with the stock tune. Many people don't understand that manufacturers are much more concerned with emissions output than they are with MPG (they are to the extent that customers are because that's all they see). Emission output is what killed of the fabulous 3.8L.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wonder which octane is better for emissions/smog testing?

The highest octane you can get. We had gutted cats and all kinds of other mods on our Buicks way back when and all we had to do to pass the sniffer test was to turn the fuel pressure way down and run high test unleaded.

Not too long ago there wasn't such a spread in prices between grades of gasoline. As such, it was easy to benefit cost and performance wise from running higher octane versus lower octane fuels. Even on the stock tune mine delivered better economy on 93 versus 87 and until the direct-injected engines came out, we proved this on every auto driven since the 1970s.

Now here's a wrinkle for ya, I now mix fuels for even better fuel economy, about 6-8 gallons of E85 mixed with E15 or 93 and the truck gets even better gas mileage than if she was burning straight 93. The motor (computer system) loves ethanol and if mixing with E15, costs less than a tank of 87.

donjetman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We do mostly hwy driving. She gets 15.5 mpg on 87 octane, 16.5 on 89, and 17.5 on 93 octane. Right now around here, 93 octane cost 31% more than 87 octane, but she only gets 13% better mpg. :emotions122:

GreyStone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Whatever the stock required octane is with the stock tune. Many people don't understand that manufacturers are much more concerned with emissions output than they are with MPG (they are to the extent that customers are because that's all they see). Emission output is what killed of the fabulous 3.8L.
My dad had an El Camino with the Conquista package - it had a 3.8 with a stick shift, lots of torque in that little engine - but it hated high RPMs.....lol.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
So far I am getting my best mileage and cost per mile on 87. It does not run as well as on E85 which only returns 10-11 mpg.

Going to try a blend of E85 with 93 to see where I land.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019