Beginner welder recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alc5m

Full Access Member
Reaction score
do not listen to del, lol, i hate flux core, and so do a lot of other people, if you learn on mig and stick, and you are decent at it, you will find you hate it as well

my reccomendation would be a hobart handler or a nice miller or lincoln, cant go wrong with either of the three and parts are easily and readily available

Vegasf6

Full Access Member
Reaction score
file_zps1b3e2a8a.jpg
try the eastwood i just got mine about 2 weeks ago to replace my lincoln weld pak 100 and i couldn't be happier with it i got the 175 but you can get the 135 and i think they have free shipping

I have the Lincoln SP-100 which I think is the precursor to the weld-pak. Same welder pretty much, maybe different accessories?
It does have the gas solenoid and hose, and two different liners for the feed tube depending on the wire type you wish to use.

The Eastwood looks pretty darn nice! Did you 175 come set up for gas or flux? Thanks for posting those.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you can do either gas or flux with the eastwood and lincoln replacement parts work in them. they are a pretty nice lincoln knock off.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Hobart Handler 140. Perfect welder, they're made by Miller, so all the parts are high quality. I use that at home and I use a Millermatic 220 at work that I LOVE, but it would be out of your price range, and it runs on 240. A guy at our shop just bought one from Northern Tools - the 135. I think he paid $350 and it does a great job. He uses it almost every day and it holds up to professional shop use.

Like they said above - go gas. Screw Flux.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094