Beginner welder recommendations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JubjubW

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not looking to buy a Lincoln as of yet, just want something small that can run off 110V. Not doing any heavy welding, my father-in-law has a heavy duty welder for that. I just want one to do some sheet metal and simple welding. Any recommendations?

Reaction score
what type of welding are you looking at doin? MIG? TIG? Lincoln are definitely gonna be your more expensive machines.. just under those would be your Miller welders.. and Hobart makes some small 110V welders as well...

I have exclusively used Miller in my career welding in the air force and they are good welders for the money..

and i used to sell Hobart welders when i worked at Tractor Supply Company. i didnt know much about welders back then but never had any complaints

carcrz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
file_zps1b3e2a8a.jpg
try the eastwood i just got mine about 2 weeks ago to replace my lincoln weld pak 100 and i couldn't be happier with it i got the 175 but you can get the 135 and i think they have free shipping

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have the eastwood 135 and its great. i bet it will handle most all your needs. i got mine with cart, nice helmet, 2 rolls of wire, chipper/hammer, tip grease, tips, tip cleaner and more stuff for $250 on CL. guy used it once and put it in the corner for a year. thing was brand new. i think its a lincoln knock off and pretty decent quality. i think even some lincoln replacement parts will work on them. now i just need a couple small tanks to learn aluminum and stainless welding. wish the tanks werent so expensive.

emay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
redemn - do you have someone local you can rent em from. I'm renting 2 tanks for 19.00 and change a year. Cheap because they make their money on fills (if your welding enough). Something worth looking into vs buying.

redemn93

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i never thought of renting them. i didnt know you could. is that price for both or each? with as little as i would really use them i bet i could get the smaller tanks and they will last me a whole year each i bet. do the gasses have a shelf life?

emay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's both for the year. I refill about every other month so I'm not sure on a shelf life to the gas since I use quite a bit. Never gone longer than 3-4 months on the long end.

I'm using 55cu ft cylinders x2. You can get larger and smaller based on your requirements and space in the garage. They make me strap them in my vehicle. Won't let me leave without doing so - so be prepared in the event your filler has safety rules in play.

Young28

The Yukon God
Reaction score
you need to strap them in the truck, and against the wall in your garage. that way they dont fall.

Actually just keep them strapped at all times.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are just starting out with welding, a "Flux Core Wire Feed" would be a inexpensive welder to begin with. They are small, do a decent job and you don't have to screw around with the gas.

If all goes well and you want to expand, then you can move up to the MIG with the inert gas. Keep in mind, there are a variety of gas combinations for different types of welding. Welding suppliers can advise.

I have the big shop welders, MIG, TIG and Plasma Cutter and they are great, but for the small jobs, it's nice to have the flexability, portibility and ease of the Flux Core...........Good Luck what ever way you chose to go.