BB tune MAS question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So i did the auto cal. Stock stock the truck got 17.1 mpg on the highway. I have since installed the aem cai. On a trip to nc driving all highway i was only able to muster up 16.6mpg. Very disapointing. I had the stock intake shipped down to me while i was down there and installed it. 16.6 mpg on the way home too. Power was actually better with the aem and i did the scan with the aem installed. These mpgs sucked. I would have thought. i could have pulled a good 20 on an all highway trip.
Since i have had the tahoe it has idled lumpy at a stop sign.

When doing the scan justin asked me to do it a second time. The mas was ready 15% high on the low and 10% low on the high. Ive cleaned it twice now with a full can of cleaner. Is this something that could cause this? The pore mpg/idle. Is it worth another $100+ bucks to replace?

I dont know enough about what it does

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If it's not reading right and it's clean, then I'd lean towards getting a new one!! It doesn't take much to mess one of those up and it really affects how the truck runs!! Run it by Justin and see what he thinks!!

M3PO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe use a few road trips/tanks of gas to draw your conclusion.
I have been down to our lake house three times this summer, taking the same route, usually running about the same speeds, and carrying the same load. The first two trips: I was getting high 16s low 17s. I just went for a third trip last weekend, and I could barley get 16 mpg, there and home.
Whats the difference? Is what I was wondering, I used gas from two different stations, since one way is a half tank. I checked the tires, the rears needed 2 lbs (which can make a difference), there was no big time wind or traffic. In the end, I don't know. Driving around town now that I am back, I look to be getting closer to 16.5 city/highway. So it was 1-2 psi in two tires, or just things I can't see, that is why I suggest taking another trip or two before you go replacing parts. Just my opinion.

Good luck.

oh yeah, my MPGs are out of a AWD 6.0 Denali gas hog, so they weren't meant to be compared, only show the differences I was getting.

Splatmaster527

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just bought one like a week ago...
Its like $70 and when you bring in your old one (core) or bring it with you when you buy a new one you get like $50 buck back so in the end its about $20

OP
OP
K

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up a new mas yesterday and even though i havent checked the #'s it sure seams its close to 2-3 mpgs better. Truck seams to run smoother as well. Time will tell though.