Battery Tenders-Anyone use them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, I'm going with the Battery Tender idea. I also had one for our 2 classic which we don't have any more but I'm thinking of this 2017 that sits and has a lot of electronics that can drain a battery over time. My GL is all ways on a BT.

Those that use a battery tender, do you have a plug near the grill that you plug the tender into or do you use the supplied alligator clamps and place them on the battery post each time you put the vehicle on the tender?

Thanks for the tips on the other tender/maintainers, I'll look into them for the Tahoe.
Mine came with the alligator clips and a more permanent option to connect an adapter to each terminal and just plug it in when needed.

2766-thickbox_default%2Fbattery-minder-1510-15-amp.png

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a NOCO Genius on my Silverado that sits for a week or two. It’s mounted under the hood and I ran a 120v extension along the frame to the rear and used the trailer harness area (I never tow with it, long story) to mount a receptacle so I can back it in and just plug it in. You could mount the receptacle anywhere you wanted.
1635892185434.jpeg

pwtr02ss

Full Access Member
Reaction score
for the one that is sitting outside, I have a solar panel (1.8w and 103mA max) facing south... connected to the cigarette lighter. Rarely driven in the last year... it starts fine. For the indoor one, the battery is disconnected and trickle charged once a month with a trickle charger "Noco Genius G1100", (corrected model number), it is not a 1100 amp booster, only a trickle charger , rather fancy... because it reboosted the battery capacity, even after 2 months the battery is still at 12.6 volts.
Noco is made in the USA , since 1914...
I have a solar for the outside cars as well. Just lay the solar panel on the dash and done. For inside car, I use a battery tender jr. Both seem to work fine

EvergreenZ71

Reaction score
for the one that is sitting outside, I have a solar panel (1.8w and 103mA max) facing south... connected to the cigarette lighter. Rarely driven in the last year... it starts fine. For the indoor one, the battery is disconnected and trickle charged once a month with a trickle charger …
I’ve also done the solar panel without much luck here in Western Washington, but that was on my 92 Suburban that had a draw somewhere and sat a lot.

For this winter, I’ve installed quick disconnects on both batteries and if my daughter takes it to her home I’m looking at redoing the solar panels to go direct to the batteries; one dash-size to each that bypasses the disconnect. If she decides she doesn’t want the snow truck it’s getting sold.

On the 2010 that’s more of a family trip truck, it just needs a good freeway drive every 7-10 days.

Last edited:

fozzi58

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an Optima Digital Battery tender on my Trans Am. This tender is good for standard and AGM batteries I bought the battery for the TA in July 05, an Optima Yellow top. Yes the battery in the TA is 16 year old and it starts every time, even after not running the car for months on end.

Spend the money on a good tender.

Spoolin

Reaction score
Yes! Especially if you only drive it a short bit and then let it sit again for a week, the battery doesn't get a chance to become full recharged and there's no de-sulfating to extend the life of the battery.

I went through this about a year and a half ago and one guy on here had about two dozen different kinds. I think he was the president of his local battery tender addicts program!

View attachment 354362
Ha! That was me!

Ive got the battery minder 1510 for my Tahoe. Can get them on sale often from northern tool. Recently got a noco genius 5 and a couple of noco to sae adapters to be able to use the 25’ extension cables I have for my battery minders, battery tenders and optimate chargers for all my motorized machines.

As an addict, we do stupid stuff on social media, so I may have posted a pic of all my drugs……

I mean battery support products. Lol

Last edited:

Spoolin

Reaction score
There’s a link to the other thread.

And I have the GM battery tap battery connectors on the Tahoe and have the pigtail hardwired since it sits for long times. The alligator clips get used on the Yimmy and anyone that needs to borrow a charger.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645