Battery Life when parked, 2023 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kjfatl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How long can I expect the battery to last when the 2023 Tahoe is parked? Can I go 2 or three months and have it start, or am I looking at 2 or 3 days? I know that asking for a month or more is a lot but my 2008 Chevy gives me a dead battery in 2 weeks. I successfully fixed this issue on the 2008 by installing a Prioritystart battery isolator. It is also good if I am camping and inadvertently draining the battery from the RV. Can a battery isolator be installed on a 2023 Tahoe, and if so, is this a good idea or bad idea? I know that the vehicle can shed load by turning off items such as the AC if the vehicle is running and the battery is going low. Does this sort of thing happen when the vehicle is turned off? In other words, does the vehicle effectively already have a battery isloater built in?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A healthy battery ought to last about a month while parked. Modules wake up, perform tests and go back to sleep all the time. So I would not run an isolator but do put mine on a battery tender when she sits for periods of time.

If the truck sits a lot and or only makes short runs, the battery will quickly expire as the charging system does not have enough time to replenish it.

Welcome to the forum.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^x2^^^

Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

GoNoGo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Once kept a MB suv parked in Syracuse Airport parking deck during 07-08 winter for more than 2 months, and she started right up.

For past 7 yrs beginning around Halloween, I plug a tender on our '05 beetle conv's battery that stays parked at our summer cottage way-upstate, NY year round. She always starts right up every Father's Day.

Got sick last year and only drove one of my personal cars I keep parked outside, was the '12 Rubicon that wouldn't crank out of the 4 cars that just sat while recuperating for 3+ months.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't worry about parking stuff. My 2008 Denali sits most of the time because I have a work truck. In the winter it's WEEKSza before I use it again and no issues. I also have a 2017 Denali and it will sit for extended periods for vacation, etc with no issues.

As long as you don't have some sort of gremlin sucking electrons out you should be fine as @GoNoGo and @swathdiver have stated.

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you are going to leave it for months, put it on a good CTEK tender and don't worry about it.
We have done this for years for seasonal vehicles and not one dead battery or Issues. Why take a chance or worry about it?

ZKWBQD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How long can I expect the battery to last when the 2023 Tahoe is parked? Can I go 2 or three months and have it start, or am I looking at 2 or 3 days? I know that asking for a month or more is a lot but my 2008 Chevy gives me a dead battery in 2 weeks. I successfully fixed this issue on the 2008 by installing a Prioritystart battery isolator. It is also good if I am camping and inadvertently draining the battery from the RV. Can a battery isolator be installed on a 2023 Tahoe, and if so, is this a good idea or bad idea? I know that the vehicle can shed load by turning off items such as the AC if the vehicle is running and the battery is going low. Does this sort of thing happen when the vehicle is turned off? In other words, does the vehicle effectively already have a battery isloater built in?
My primary home is in Texas but I spend my summers in California in my winters in Hawaii. I have left my Tahoe sitting for about 2 1/2 months and it starts right up upon my return. Remember, the Tahoe has the oversized battery for the start-stop technology (that most people permanently override). The one thing that I positively hate is, if you leave the vehicle in accessory mode it shuts itself off after 20 minutes. Terrible for going to the drive-in. The battery could easily last five hours at the drive-in.

TrueAt1stLight

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My primary home is in Texas but I spend my summers in California in my winters in Hawaii. I have left my Tahoe sitting for about 2 1/2 months and it starts right up upon my return. Remember, the Tahoe has the oversized battery for the start-stop technology (that most people permanently override). The one thing that I positively hate is, if you leave the vehicle in accessory mode it shuts itself off after 20 minutes. Terrible for going to the drive-in. The battery could easily last five hours at the drive-in.
@ZKWBQD hold the start button on for (10 maybe?) seconds when starting your rig and it shuts off the 20 min auto off mode. You’ll get an alert the auto-shutdown is disabled on the instrument cluster.

OP
OP
K

kjfatl

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@ZKWBQD hold the start button on for (10 maybe?) seconds when starting your rig and it shuts off the 20 min auto off mode. You’ll get an alert the auto-shutdown is disabled on the instrument cluster.
For my 2008 Trailblazer, the battery isolator is a great idea. It is keeping me from having to replace the battery as often due to deep discharge if the vehicle sits a while or someone leaves on a light. For the Tahoe, it looks like a really bad idea. First of all, it appears that GM is doing a much better job on keeping the battery out of deep discharge mode, secondly there is not positive cable to connect to. GM implemented a wide bus bar, a couple of inches long that bolts to the positive post of the battery. There is no room to put in a battery isolator, and as others have mentioned, it is not needed. Adding a trickle charger is a much better solution.

belair62

Reaction score
If you are going to leave it for months, put it on a good CTEK tender and don't worry about it.
We have done this for years for seasonal vehicles and not one dead battery or Issues. Why take a chance or worry about it?
This. I keep my cruise night cars on cteks for 5 months during winter. Never a problem. Still run the same batteries for years

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz