Battery Gauge Bouncing Between 11.5-15

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
On a long trip Mich-Florida with my ‘21 SLT Yukon. Didnt notice this yesterday, but today the battery gauge within seconds will bounce from 11.5 to 14+ and then back to 12. I called my service guy and they told me that is normal with this variable alternator. Anybody else experience this or are they feeding me a line? Thanks.

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. Didnt see it doing that yesterday driving 600 miles, noticed it swinging back and forth today. Glad its not just mine!

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
normally if the battery is cold and in good condition it really shouldn't fluctuate much, but on a long drive where the battery is getting heated up then you will probably see it bounce around some that is normal the rvc (regulated voltage control) measures the resistance and calculates the battery temp and adjusts the voltage accordingly. If you turn on the rear defrost, headlights, ac, heated seats, wipers, etc then you should see the voltage go up a bit or if you exceed a certain speed. next time you look under the hood you will see a black round clamp looking sensor that goes around the battery cable with a harness and smaller wire leading off of it, that is where it gets the data from.

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks for the explanation! That supports what I’ve experienced: left yesterday from northern Mi to KY. Outdoor temps 0-25 with snow. All heating accessories on, battery was a constant 14+. Today in Alabama, outdoor temp 60, minimal accessories on, battery gauge at 11.5 - 14. Thought for sure I had a bad alternator! Very relieved! Thanks again!

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
On a long trip Mich-Florida with my ‘21 SLT Yukon. Didnt notice this yesterday, but today the battery gauge within seconds will bounce from 11.5 to 14+ and then back to 12. I called my service guy and they told me that is normal with this variable alternator. Anybody else experience this or are they feeding me a line? Thanks.

Turn the bass down on your music.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Look up the terms RVC (Regulated Voltage Control) and EPM (Electronic Power Management).

Where in Florida did you go?

OP
OP
N
Reaction score
Swathdiver, we’re in a VRBO near Panama City Beach. First real test for the Yukon. So far so good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu