Basics of ride control

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

vdubpower

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So i have a 2006 denali SUV with 75000 miles

and i noticed that the service ride control warning went on now when i start the car.

My question is, how does the ride control work on these vehichles.
Is it just a ride leveler if there is a Load in the rear (ex towing or heavy cargo)
Or does it control ride height all together, regardless of load.

for instance in my mercedes they have bilstein air shocks and if they fail the car sinks to ground.
I havent noticed any change in ride height or performance

i know there are some threads dealing with fuses and electrics but i dont really know where to start with thsose

id like to first get a basis of what im dealing with .

when i started the truck this morning, i didnt hear any hissing, but im not sure if the compressor was working. or not....

previoiusly sometimes when i start the car there is a large noise from the hood, but thought iwas the AC compressor.....dunno,
thanks for the help

livingez_123

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if the air ride fails your truck wont sink to the ground, it wont change at all. it still has the coil springs, and they set the static ride height. now when you add a load or trailer the air ride will bring it back up to level. It also has the RTD system. Real Time Dampning. that controls the settings inside the shocks for a different dampening rate when in Tow/Haul mode. you disable the entire system if you want. Just remove the battery cable, pull the RTD fuse inside the distribution center next to the battery. disconnect the plugs at the shocks. put battery cable back on. Now you can put whatever shock you want to on it. you just wont have the auto level ride.
Opps, I just noticed you have a 06. don't know if this will help or not.

OP
OP
V

vdubpower

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
thanks for the reply

in terms of load, we will never use a trailer,
most of the time its 3 strollers, /5 passengers,
sometimes a trip to costco, nothing crazy

dioes the real time damping continue to work if the "ride control " isnt

can i just disconnect the compressor so it doesnt burn out if it hasnt already and just move on? If so how

oh when you guys mention removing thebattery cable before workign on the fuses does that mean, both positive and negative?

thanks all

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Instigator01