Ball Joint Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

350VortecSSCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How do you install the ball joints, upper preferably? There shot and I have 2 door tahoe, 98. If you also know how 2 do the pitman arm/ ilder arm that'd be great!

jmildoc

Full Access Member
Reaction score
they are hard as hell to replace.. I tried on my car and I had all the right tools and everything and couldnt get them off ended up taking it in to the shop and they used an air chisel to take em off....... just buy the part and pay someone to do it

Bad bow tie

Grizz Straight FTMFW
Reaction score
they are hard as hell to replace.. I tried on my car and I had all the right tools and everything and couldnt get them off ended up taking it in to the shop and they used an air chisel to take em off....... just buy the part and pay someone to do it

I second that. They are a complete *****. If I remember correctly, they are press in. I had to rent a air compressed fork spreader and the press. The idler and pitman were a ***** too. I did get it done, but it took me a while. A lot of cussing and thrown tools...haha

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You just need a BFH!

Install was pretty easy but I had access to a lift. If your going to replace one ball joint, might as well do the other on the same side!

Pitman arm...people complain of having trouble getting it out. I just unbolted it and moved it round and it came loose.

OP
OP

350VortecSSCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a shop...15,000sq ft garage with several lifts and damn good tools...but it's shit when the parts on it now are garbage...whats a BFH? acrynoms dont help. And unbolting it while the lower control arm, centerlink and everything is a part, little dangerous.

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Patience...what the hell is that? I have it on occasion. So far none at the moment because I do my own bodywork, paint, and mechanics so by Tuesday I'm nuts.

foreverfalcon40

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BFH...Big Fuking Hammer to hit the ball joint out of the control arm! Patiance b/c its take a few swings!

So then you have a lift you should be fine.

How is working on your car aggrevating? I love workin on my shit, exspecially WHEN ITS TIME TO UPGRADE!

OP
OP

350VortecSSCT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I heard that I have to use a big ******* hammer...thanks my bad. O don't get me wrong I love doing upgrades all the time...just when you order something you go to install it and you need another part, or not having the right tools, or there is a odd peice of metal or plastic blocking you...it sucks.

Lifted99Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I say they are easy. But I used to do them all the time. Fully ASE Certified Tech. Now moved to Parts Managment.

Best way for the rivets on the upper:

Remove Upper Arm
Use cut off wheel, make + sign on head of rivet on top and bottom
Use Air Hammer with Chissel Bit, and knock off the heads.
Use small center punch to make dimple
Using a correct sized drill bit the size of the rivet
Drill half way down
Use another center punch the size of the bore, and hammer it down.
Rivet falls right out

Many ways. But that, I learned to be the fastest. Time is money when working in a shop.

Tibo77

Reaction score
I've got 85K on my 09. Tire guy said my uppers are in need of replacement. Since it was a chain tire store that 's kind of known for running up a list of other $$ items, I'm going to get a second opinion. Didn't look like a whole lot of play to me but its a critical component so I'm going to have it checked by a private shop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76