Bad vibration After installing rear brakes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kanz24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Guys since installing new shoes and drums I have a bad vibration while braking. At first I thought it could be the drums out of round. I installed my original drums and the vibration is still there. To confirm it was the rear brakes I used the emergency brake and the vibration was still there. I also noticed while on the parkway that I have a small vibration at 70MPH. It seems as the brakes get hotter the vibration gets worse. I asked my friend who is a mechanic stop by just to confirm I didn't mess up my install and he said everything looks fine. So Im at a loss here, Could it be bad shoes?

OP
OP
K

kanz24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Sunlitcomet I would like to think that they were. I used a new hardware kit and I noticed the new springs were color coded. I also noticed that the one spring was slightly smaller in diameter and would only fit on the cup washer that held the self adjuster lever in place.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I would like a link to the part kit you got and some close-ups of the work please. Do I dare ask if you got the right shoes as well? And what are you driving btw?

OP
OP
K

kanz24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Quick update. I received a call from my friend who is a mechanic and I guess he was speaking to his boss about the vibration. His boss seemed intrigued more then anything about the vibration. So His boss stopped by and took my truck and said he would let me know what he finds. As soon as I hear something I will post it.

OP
OP
K

kanz24

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So here is the latest. The mechanics installed 2 different brake drums and another set of shoes. Guess what, Still vibrating. After all of us stood their scratching our heads we noticed my original drums were slightly different then the 3 drums we received from the parts supply. So we installed my original drums and the vibration disappeared. So now keep in mind these drums also vibrated when we tried them last time. So now we are all confused. Only thing we can come up with is that it must have been a combination of bad shoes and incorrect drums. It just goes to show you that even though the parts are new and good quality you still get garbage every ow and again.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
you have 11"brakes right? you have a 4wd right? those would be the correct application. would have gotten bendix myself. any chance they got contaminated with grease, cleaner or brake fluid during install?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz