BAD VIBES - 2/4 Drop & 22" Alloys [PICS]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shahshauhin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have recently added 22" GMC CK375 replica wheels with 285/45 tires and lowered the car using a Ground Force 2/4 coil kit.

The drop is springs only (no spindles) and the rear auto ride sensors have been shaved to drop the rear slightly more.

I have had the wheels & tires balanced 4 times and am still experiencing a steering wheel vibration after 60MPH. The shimmy is inconsistent and seems to be worse depending on the quality of the road i am driving on.

The wheels were taken back to the vendor and laser checked to make sure they are true. Every single wheel is straight and the balance is always at 0.

The shop who lowered my car is suggesting that the oversized wheels/tires are the cause of the issue and I'll need to purchase a steering stabalizer.

They recommeded the Fabtech FTS21044BK - http://discount4wheel.com/i-4901659-steering-stabilizer-kit-fabtech-fts21044bk.html

Can anyone verify that this is a legitimate solution to the problem I am experiencing?

IMG_2188.jpg
IMG_2188_2.jpg
IMG_2188_3.jpg
IMG_2188_4.jpg

Thanks,
Shaun

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow... A coil drop on the front of an autoride Tahoe? That would be problem #1.

Did you remove the rotor clips off the front rotors prior to mounting the new wheels?

I'd have them high speed balanced as well. Your tires, if generic, could have also popped a steel band.

There could be alot of different possibilities, but I'd start with checking the rotor clip, lowering it properly, and then check from there.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a side note, I've sold PLENTY of OEM 22" wheels and never had this issue. I also personally have 24" on our autoride suburban that is lowered and have no issues.

OP
OP
S

shahshauhin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
why is lowering with coils such an issue? the ride quality is perfect aside from the vibration. i am assuming the vibration has nothing to do with the drop. if it does, please explain why?

i am not sure about the rotor clips. can you please explain what they are and do, and why they'd create a vibration in the steering?

Thanks

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert on drops but there's no reason I ever heard of that a 22" wheel would be the source of such an issue ... people here regularly have 26" on 2/4 drops with no vibration problems. I didn't enjoy the ride comfort level when I had a 2-3/4 Belltech drop (with spindles) on 24s with 295/35/22s but vibration wasn't an issue. Maybe it's got something to do with the fact that you're not using front spindles especially with autoride? :think:

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
why is lowering with coils such an issue? the ride quality is perfect aside from the vibration. i am assuming the vibration has nothing to do with the drop. if it does, please explain why?

i am not sure about the rotor clips. can you please explain what they are and do, and why they'd create a vibration in the steering?

Thanks

I have never seen a drop kit for autoride applications that utilize a drop coil. What part number are you using. My guess is that this kit is not designed for your vehicle and causing your headaches.

The rotor clips are small clips that go over the lug on the outside of the rotor. There is one per wheel (front definite, not sure about the rear). Any wheel shop should know to remove them.

OP
OP
S

shahshauhin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I have never seen a drop kit for autoride applications that utilize a drop coil. What part number are you using. My guess is that this kit is not designed for your vehicle and causing your headaches.

The rotor clips are small clips that go over the lug on the outside of the rotor. There is one per wheel (front definite, not sure about the rear). Any wheel shop should know to remove them.

my question is why is it important to remove them? is this something that could potentially be causing vibration?

Shaun

Autbond

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think it is definitely using the springs on the front of an autoride truck. I have a Belltech 2/3-4 currently and am not experiencing any vibration at all. It is a spindle kit.

THE YETI

Director of Operations
Supporting Member
Reaction score
my question is why is it important to remove them? is this something that could potentially be causing vibration?

Shaun

Rotor clips will not allow the wheel to sit flush against the rotor. Therefore it will vibrate. OEM wheels have a recess for them which is why you don't have this issue with OEM wheels.

sumo

dn ʇǝƃ ʇuɐɔ & llǝɟ ı
Reaction score
im Leaning towards Tires. Just becuase they zero balanced dosent mean a tire cant be bad. Id say get a Road Force Balance. The Machine will match the best positon on the tire to the Rim. Also id put on your Old rim and tires and see if the problem goes away. If so, its one of your New rim/tire or tires.