Bad LEDs installed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mr.Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a little heads up if you are plannig on using ScottyBoy for the LED exhange on your truck.
Got mine done by him two years ago, and already they are failing:
They first starts to flicker, then failing completely.
He is not willing to replace them for free, since he is claiming the warranty has expired.
It was pretty costly to have it done by him, since I am living in Norway.

I have now ordered new LEDs from US Speedo, and will have them installed here.
US Speedo claims they will last the livetime of the truck, so I will let you know how it goes.
They are quite pricey, 100USD for all, but I guess going for them instead of cheap ones, is best.
In my opinion LEDs should last way longer than two years.

Aaron_L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can assure you the LED's you bought are no different, you just paid more for them. More often than not it's the solder joint failing, not the LED.

treehan77

TYF Fiend
Reaction score
Learn how to solder and do it yourself or you'll be blaming other people for no reason for the rest of your life!

OP
OP
Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ofcourse there are different qualities among LEDs. Just as it is with ordinary bulbs.

Blaming for no reason?! Tell me how there is no reason? I paid a substansional amount of money for this. And I suppose that is why he has not been on this forum since April.

Btw, I thought people should be glad about warnings for unproffesional labor.

Aaron_L

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't say there was a different qualities. US Speedo rebrands a lot of other products and sells them for ridiculous prices. I would have felt safer buying them from somewhere else, like superbrightleds. That being said, I've had cheap ones in my truck for a lot longer than two years with no issues. I did all of them myself.

If I were you I would check the joints where the LED was soldered to the board, and the ribbon cable connecting the two boards. I really doubt it's the leds themselves.

OP
OP
Mr.Jack

Mr.Jack

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ScottyBoy said it was the LEDs that failed. But I will check the soldering.

I have a cluster made by US Speedo, and those LEDs are still working. That is why I chose US Speedo.
Yes, they are pricy, but then I expect them to be good.

Thank you for the input. Appreciate that.

about20ninj45

Full Access Member
Reaction score
FYI, Scotty has been gone due to medical problems, he isn't hiding

vatahoelt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
looks like the joints are failing as opposed to the leds. as others have said, i would open it up and check the joints before opening up the leds from usspeedo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GMC GUy