Automatic to Manual ECM Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yukhoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi All. First time poster. I have a question regarding the ECM from one truck to another.

Last year, I stumbled across a 1995 Tahoe 2 door with a factory 5 speed buried in a barn in Central Iowa. The body was perfect, engine was missing, trans was in shambles, and the sandy floor of the barn had had it's way with the frame. But, A clean title. A few months ago, I came across a 1996 Yukon that is complete with a good frame, an automatic, and a salvage title (light rollover). The plan is to take the Yukon body off and put my Tahoe body on with a rebuilt 5 speed. Will the '96 auto ecm work with the manual trans? I've looked on rockauto and gmpartsgiant and there seems to be no distinction between the auto and manual ecms in '96. Is this correct or am I missing something?

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Harness different. Use 5 speed lower harness. Pick up the factory manual, will help alot.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im not 100 there 95 and 96 is when they changed so the wiring is different between the 2 years im not sure you will be able to just use the 95s lower harness. the 95 had a tbi regular 350 5.7 the 96 is mpfi 5.7 vortec. different ecm and all. the 95 is also probably obd1 and the 96 will be obd2. the 5spd option is rarer the higher you go in year also so locating a 5spd 96 harness could be a needle in a hay search. regardless if you complete the swap and dont hookup anything for the transmission the truck will run and move. dash will probably look like a Christmas tree and you wont have a speedometer.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think his biggest concern will be the VSS which will be on the tcase If I remember right. Clutch switch/ Neutral under dash, Brake switch may be different with same outputs. Why I suggested the Manual.
Using the 96 computer, 96 truck, 95 trans shouldn't be too bad with the tcase exception. Way easier to check when eng t cases side by side on floor and harnesses exposed. May be re-pinning old/new connectors. There are a few threads here on similar but different swaps. Best part is he has a donor vehicle.Sorry If I made it sound plug n play, with exceptions. We are here to help.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think his biggest concern will be the VSS which will be on the tcase If I remember right. Clutch switch/ Neutral under dash, Brake switch may be different with same outputs. Why I suggested the Manual.
Using the 96 computer, 96 truck, 95 trans shouldn't be too bad with the tcase exception. Way easier to check when eng t cases side by side on floor and harnesses exposed. May be re-pinning old/new connectors. There are a few threads here on similar but different swaps. Best part is he has a donor vehicle.Sorry If I made it sound plug n play, with exceptions. We are here to help.
ya only reason i mentioned it i dont know the op skill level or knowledge base with the tahoes. didn't want him thinking it was a simple job.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
drakon-I keep forgetting about the social interaction of the board(s) these days, Old days was mechanics looking to upgrade their skills with a new project. Nowadays peeps don't know what oil to put where and don't even know what the owners manual says. I should be more careful in the future.Thanks.

chadw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You know you dont have to hse the 5 speed right? Like, you could put in an auto. If you are thinking a 5 speed tahoe is anything resembling "fun" its not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ylwdogs