Auto Theft

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

01dailey

Reaction score
I have a 2021 Yukon Denali. Lately I have been concerned about the latest auto theft methods being used by thieves today. Some of these methods can render all of our security protection useless. For example, hacking your key fob signal. There is a simple $29.99 device sold on Amazon that can plug into a laptop computers USB port which enables you to scan the RF frequencies for key fob signals and record them. You can find detailed instructions on this and information on transmitters you can buy and everything you need to know on YouTube. You don't have to be a computer geek to hack a cars computer and steal it. The info is out there. A lower tech method I read about being used in Texas to steal new Yukon's and Tahoe's is to pop the hood and swap out the vehicles ECM for one in which the security features have been deleted. This renders the door locks, alarm and immobilizer useless. You can start the vehicle and drive away without messing with key fob signals. Whoever thought you could simply swap out the vehicles computer to bypass security? Evidently not the manufacturer.

I've thought about adding some old-fashioned low-tech theft protection, like a hidden switch somewhere that will disable the fuel pump relay. This will eliminate the possibility of the vehicle being driven away. This would be easy enough to install, but I have one question I hope someone can answer. If anyone tries to start the vehicle with the switch in the disabled mode, will it trigger a dash warning? Will the warning indicate a relay or fuel pump problem? A dead giveaway to any thief. Will it trigger a fault code that will have to be cleared?

I'd like to hear some feedback or concerns from others on auto theft.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2021 Yukon Denali. Lately I have been concerned about the latest auto theft methods being used by thieves today. Some of these methods can render all of our security protection useless. For example, hacking your key fob signal. There is a simple $29.99 device sold on Amazon that can plug into a laptop computers USB port which enables you to scan the RF frequencies for key fob signals and record them. You can find detailed instructions on this and information on transmitters you can buy and everything you need to know on YouTube. You don't have to be a computer geek to hack a cars computer and steal it. The info is out there. A lower tech method I read about being used in Texas to steal new Yukon's and Tahoe's is to pop the hood and swap out the vehicles ECM for one in which the security features have been deleted. This renders the door locks, alarm and immobilizer useless. You can start the vehicle and drive away without messing with key fob signals. Whoever thought you could simply swap out the vehicles computer to bypass security? Evidently not the manufacturer.

I've thought about adding some old-fashioned low-tech theft protection, like a hidden switch somewhere that will disable the fuel pump relay. This will eliminate the possibility of the vehicle being driven away. This would be easy enough to install, but I have one question I hope someone can answer. If anyone tries to start the vehicle with the switch in the disabled mode, will it trigger a dash warning? Will the warning indicate a relay or fuel pump problem? A dead giveaway to any thief. Will it trigger a fault code that will have to be cleared?

I'd like to hear some feedback or concerns from others on auto theft.
You could test your theory by just pulling out the fuel pump relay and seeing what happens when you try to start it. Or buy a spare relay and cut the tab off for the power to the fuel pump; easy way to test for cheap.

On the newest platform, 2022 and up, I think all the modules have to have the correct VIN to run, so not sure swapping in an ECM will just work. But, I really don’t know for sure on that one.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would give "away" your secret disconnect with a code that says we don't have a working fuel pump. The ECM is looking for a start command, then powers the fuel pump, then looks for engine rpm. My assumption is that it would fire once and die from the fuel in the rail and high pressure pump. If cranking again, it would go though a predefined time delay or number of attempts before setting a CEL. Just my basic understanding.

DmaxDenaliXL

Reaction score
I’ll never understand why people choose to live in places where this is a concern.

Back on topic, I guess you wouldn’t be able to remote start if the fuel pump is disabled.

Is there a way to interrupt the transmission push buttons? If they can’t shift out of park, it would accomplish the same goal.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 million ways to do it, just use 1 preferably one that is not a pita to use each time you start the vehicle
this can range from having to press a button first to a combo of buttons or a foot switch under the carpet like cop cars or freaking anything.
the sky is the limit
and NO gm is not going to show a message saying "hey dummy" they could but they like to make money doing repairs so again NO

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Another way, I found accidentally once by installing the floor mat wrong, is have the accelerator pedal pushed in a little…it will crank all day but never start.

repairman54

Reaction score
If a thief wants it then it's gone. A lot of ''steals'' are not driven away. Hidden under lift wheel lifts on 1 ton pickups are plentiful.
What works for the repo man also works for professional thieves. Rear tow and away it goes.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a thief wants it then it's gone. A lot of ''steals'' are not driven away. Hidden under lift wheel lifts on 1 ton pickups are plentiful.
What works for the repo man also works for professional thieves. Rear tow and away it goes.
yep, even though mine is now 10 years old I still have a separate GPS tracker on it, Security is a critical need in my book especially if you just dropped a 100k on something.
factory security is a complete joke.
and no a apple airtag is not security either lol

OP
OP

01dailey

Reaction score
I understand what you are saying, but the objective is to add some level of difficulty to deter a thief to go elsewhere. The latest keyless entry and pushbutton ignition is an open invitation. A prepared thief can steal a vehicle as quickly and easily as having a key fob. Less trouble and lower profile than towing. Years ago my truck was broken into and the thief easily defeated the ignition switch, but he failed to find my kill switch and left the vehicle.

BlaineBug

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll never understand why people choose to live in places where this is a concern.

Back on topic, I guess you wouldn’t be able to remote start if the fuel pump is disabled.

Is there a way to interrupt the transmission push buttons? If they can’t shift out of park, it would accomplish the same goal.
It seems to exist EVERYWHERE but especially in big shitties.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons