Auto Stop Function

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thislife1977

Reaction score
I’ve owned a Toyota hybrid so I’m familiar with engine shutting off and re-engaging. However, the way GMC does it seems very damaging to the engine. What’s worse is you can’t permanently turn off function..it resets every-time you park the truck

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is it about the way GM does it might be damaging to the engine? I can understand that a hybrid design could be more accommodating. In the end government mandates are increasingly handicapping gas engines intentionally so that EVs can compete and the added complexity is to blame for some of the reliability problems.

OP
OP
T

Thislife1977

Reaction score
What is it about the way GM does it might be damaging to the engine? I can understand that a hybrid design could be more accommodating. In the end government mandates are increasingly handicapping gas engines intentionally so that EVs can compete and the added complexity is to blame for some of the reliability problems.
It restarts the engine similar to a cold start. Imagine drive 10 miles and you cut the vehicle off and on 15x. The wear and tear on the engine is concerning. The hybrid engine re-engages vs restarts

OP
OP
T

Thislife1977

Reaction score
Also, I’m not looking for a political debate. My Toyota Camry Hybrid last 330k miles before the battery went bad. And even at the end I was getting 38 miles/gallon.

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also, I’m not looking for a political debate. My Toyota Camry Hybrid last 330k miles before the battery went bad. And even at the end I was getting 38 miles/gallon.

Neither am I but it's hard to ignore the elephant in the room. I would think a hybrid would be a good solution for these large suvs and wonder why GM hasn't adopted it. It seems to me to be the efficient solution for power and economy. Is it marketing the V8 sound or not wanting to compromise interior space or something else? Could be profit margin these things are near the top of their price range as it is so why cut into margin with the added cost of the hybrid.

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

Thislife1977

Reaction score
Neither am I but it's hard to ignore the elephant in the room. I would think a hybrid would be a good solution for these large suvs and wonder why GM hasn't adopted it. It seems to me to be the efficient solution for power and economy. Is it marketing the V8 sound or not wanting to compromise interior space or something else? Could be profit margin these things are near the top of their price range as it is so why cut into margin with the added cost of the hybrid.
Hybrids are going away. Toyota, the leader in the hybrid market, are going all Electric option starting December. Regarding the Yukon, I don’t understand why they added the auto engine stop technology. I believe it takes more gas to rev back up the engine then just leaving it running

Quark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hybrids are going away. Toyota, the leader in the hybrid market, are going all Electric option starting December. Regarding the Yukon, I don’t understand why they added the auto engine stop technology. I believe it takes more gas to rev back up the engine then just leaving it running

Ford has the PowerBoost hybrid available on the F150 first available in 2020. Some believe it will be an option on the 2022 Navigator. Something like 25 mpg combined with 700 mile range.

Emission standards have auto makers doing all kinds of tricks to meet them. Government edicts and auto features are so tightly intertwined it's impossible to discuss one without the other.

JasonHTX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just got in the habit of pressing the button to disable it every time I turn it on. I've had to do the same for my last two vehicles.

Hopefully Range Tech will release the AFM/DFM disable and Auto-Stop/Start disable soon.

OP
OP
T

Thislife1977

Reaction score
Ford has the PowerBoost hybrid available on the F150 first available in 2020. Some believe it will be an option on the 2022 Navigator. Something like 25 mpg combined with 700 mile range.

Emission standards have auto makers doing all kinds of tricks to meet them. Government edicts and auto features are so tightly intertwined it's impossible to discuss one without the other.

Bro I don’t care about Gov’t emissions standards. As far as I’m concerned fossil fuels will be a thing of the past by the time in the next generation. Nevertheless, use smart technology to save gas and I do not feel the GM auto stop is smart tech. As far as hybrids, if I have a choice, I’d rather have the EV because the performance kicks ***. Anyway, I’m getting off topic...I’ll do more research and until then continue to manually cut off the auto stop.