Auto ride compressor not kicking in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cags

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
On my 2005 Yukon I would hookup flat bed trailer and air compressor would kick on and level off vehicle. Needed to lift trailer hitch about 2-3 inches to engage tongue to ball. I now have 2013 Tahoe. I now have to lift trailer hitch 8 inches to engage tongue to ball, and compressor does not kick on . Trailer also unleveled with nose of trailer sitting high on receiver. I ran scantool and under special tests compressor started and shutoff as commanded. There are no codes or error messages. Rear of car seems to be sitting higher than normal, but what is considered normal other than looking level. Will pull both rear tires and check height position sensors for possible problem. The shocks need to release air to lower to level car or need to change receiver to a ball with at least 4 inch drop. Either way I never see the rear shocks raise or lower the rear of car. With koeo I do hear the compressor come on and after 5-8 seconds shut off. A normal self check at startup. Anyone out there with any suggestions, give me a shout.

Thanks

Cags

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the air compressor should run every time you turn the key to run, just before the pump kicks on you should hear it release a little air so the pump does not have to work too hard, you should also see the rear end lift about an inch or so as it is pumping air. if it's not doing that everytime you may have a problem. sometimes the air release valve stops working on the pump in which case the pump needs to be replaced.

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
You didn't give any indication as to the size/weight of the trailer or the amount of tongue weight.

The GMT900 platforms hitch is considerably higher than the GMT800 and requires a drop hitch.

If you have a very small trailer with minimal tongue weight it probably will not be enough to engage the auto leveling feature, especially if the tongue is sitting way up in the air to reach the ball... all the weight will be shifted toward the rear.

More info is needed but, I would suggest getting an adjustable drop hitch to start off.

Having the nose of the trailer way up in the air will cause it to want to fish tail and could easily become uncontrollable, especially at higher speeds, depending on the size of the trailer.

OP
OP
C

cags

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
the air compressor should run every time you turn the key to run, just before the pump kicks on you should hear it release a little air so the pump does not have to work too hard, you should also see the rear end lift about an inch or so as it is pumping air. if it's not doing that everytime you may have a problem. sometimes the air release valve stops working on the pump in which case the pump needs to be replaced.

Did turn key to run position ,did not hear any air but pump did cycle on and off with about 1/4 of lift on rear end. Thanks again, will do some further testing

OP
OP
C

cags

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
You didn't give any indication as to the size/weight of the trailer or the amount of tongue weight.

The GMT900 platforms hitch is considerably higher than the GMT800 and requires a drop hitch.

If you have a very small trailer with minimal tongue weight it probably will not be enough to engage the auto leveling feature, especially if the tongue is sitting way up in the air to reach the ball... all the weight will be shifted toward the rear.

More info is needed but, I would suggest getting an adjustable drop hitch to start off.

Having the nose of the trailer way up in the air will cause it to want to fish tail and could easily become uncontrollable, especially at higher speeds, depending on the size of the trailer.

Trailer size 16ft. flatbed weighing in at approx. 1500lbs mt weight with max allowable weight of approx. 3500lbs. will need about 6 inch drop hitch or as you suggested, an adjustable one. Thanks

Cags

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts