Auto-level compressor running with ignition off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BuckBrush

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. New member, long time lurker.

I have a 2014 Yukon XL Denali with Autoride/level.

One night about an hour after parking in the garage, my wife could hear a noise coming from the garage, I headed out and the compressor was running non stop, air-shocks were rock hard.
I checked the ignition and the keys weren't in it. I pulled the fuse and obviously the compressor stopped.
A few days later, out of curiosity I threw the fuse back in and the system worked as it should. A few weeks later my wife came back to the truck after shopping and it was running again. She pulled the fuse right there.
When she got home I plugged the fuse in just to make sure the pump wasn't cooked. It AGAIN was working as it should.

I'm not sure where to start with tracking this down as I didn't think it should ever have power with the ignition off. The first time it happened there was slush on the road, the second time the road conditions were dry.

One more thing to add, I switched the airshocks for the Arnott rebuilds about a year ago and AutoLevel worked fine after the install.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello all. New member, long time lurker.

I have a 2014 Yukon XL Denali with Autoride/level.

One night about an hour after parking in the garage, my wife could hear a noise coming from the garage, I headed out and the compressor was running non stop, air-shocks were rock hard.
I checked the ignition and the keys weren't in it. I pulled the fuse and obviously the compressor stopped.
A few days later, out of curiosity I threw the fuse back in and the system worked as it should. A few weeks later my wife came back to the truck after shopping and it was running again. She pulled the fuse right there.
When she got home I plugged the fuse in just to make sure the pump wasn't cooked. It AGAIN was working as it should.

I'm not sure where to start with tracking this down as I didn't think it should ever have power with the ignition off. The first time it happened there was slush on the road, the second time the road conditions were dry.

One more thing to add, I switched the airshocks for the Arnott rebuilds about a year ago and AutoLevel worked fine after the install.

Welcome Jesse. The compressor does have power when the ignition is off and the computer wakes up to run self tests or to level the truck. An advanced scan tool can test the system out and see internal trouble codes. There may be a leak somewhere.

OP
OP
BuckBrush

BuckBrush

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome Jesse. The compressor does have power when the ignition is off and the computer wakes up to run self tests or to level the truck. An advanced scan tool can test the system out and see internal trouble codes. There may be a leak somewhere.

Ok, it just didn't seem like it should be running with the ignition off. In the 6 years I've had it I never had the compressor kick in with the ignition off even when hooking on a trailer, it always waited until I started it. I should have added that right before I got the fuse pulled the compressor was really struggling like it was starting to stall out and the back end was solid.

I might have to look into getting a scan done. I just figured I'd look for ideas here first.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, it just didn't seem like it should be running with the ignition off. In the 6 years I've had it I never had the compressor kick in with the ignition off even when hooking on a trailer, it always waited until I started it. I should have added that right before I got the fuse pulled the compressor was really struggling like it was starting to stall out and the back end was solid.

I might have to look into getting a scan done. I just figured I'd look for ideas here first.

Might be time to rebuild or replace the compressor.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You are already receiving suggestions from the knowledgeable folks here, and others will chime in.

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Virginia. Might be worth checking the air lines and actuator rods too. My 07 usually doesn’t run with the key off but as James said it might when I’m not around it.

OP
OP
BuckBrush

BuckBrush

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics, please.

You are already receiving suggestions from the knowledgeable folks here, and others will chime in.

Thanks for the warm welcome and, you're right. I was surprised to get such fast replies.

The Yukon is my Wifes DD and I haven't done much to it yet. I am about to start a bit of a 'make over' on it for her. We live on a gravel road and the paint is getting ROUGH at the bottom. Not rusting yet but it wouldn't be long. We do a lot of hunting trips, hiking and kayaking. I plan to start making this a little more offroad (very moderate) friendly as it has much more room and comfort than my trucks.

I have talked the wife into letting me keep the Yukon in the garage for a month. She knows I plan to raptor spray the rockers but I have a bit more planned, hopefully I can get it done around my work schedule without her peeking in the shop. Plans are- Fix auto level, 2.5"F/1.5"R Level, Black 18x9 rims 275/70r18 copper AT3 XLT tires, raptor the bottom, bumpers, Paint the grills, door handles and roof rack Black, then a full cut and polish. Also getting rid of the Power assist steps (They fill up with gravel) and I took off the peeling side moulding last week.

I plan on making a post with these mods once they are done.

Yukon before 2.jpg yukon before 3.jpg Yukon loaded.jpg

Foggy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As others have suggested, I'd suspect the ride height sensors...
They can get junk in them over time and fail..

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
I'm not saying James @swathdiver is wrong, but I converted my truck over to the TBSS air bags in the rear and I have them hooked to my auto leveling compressor and it has developed a small leak that will cause the rear end to drop over night and my auto leveling compressor never runs with the key off.

When I get up in the morning the frame will be sitting on the rear axle and when I start it up the compressor turns on and lifts it back up.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, it just didn't seem like it should be running with the ignition off.

I'm not saying James @swathdiver is wrong, but I converted my truck over to the TBSS air bags in the rear and I have them hooked to my auto leveling compressor and it has developed a small leak that will cause the rear end to drop over night and my auto leveling compressor never runs with the key off.

When I get up in the morning the frame will be sitting on the rear axle and when I start it up the compressor turns on and lifts it back up.

You guys are right, I was wrong. Ken, I'm not too proud to be called out when wrong! LOL

Jesse, When I put All-Terrain tires on my truck, they too chewed up the paint behind the front wheels especially. We made good use of those little paint pens fixing all the rock chips. I finally got around to putting on the factory splash guards and no more chips and no more sand or water or mud all over my running boards when we get out! If memory serves, GM did not offer them though with the AMP steps so you'll have to swap them out if you think you'd like the splash guards.

IMG_5882.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake 2015 GMC Yuk

Latest posts